Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

Cossie 4x4 'Strange' Head gasket leak...

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 04:29 AM
daxman
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cossie 4x4 'Strange' Head gasket leak...

Hi guys,

Have a brain teaser for you....

Engine has been out of the car, bottom-end is untouched bar a new sump gasket.

Head was pulled off and 're-freshed' with new valve guides, valves & lightly skimmed head. The top of the block had had wire rings installed some years back and has never shown any problems.

Last month took the car to the dyno to get a few more ponies released.....

Basically, under boost (only 8psi) on the dyno, there was coolant weeping out between the bottom of th gasket and the top of the block passenger side (non turbo side). Changed the head gasket for another new Grp A jobbie & yesterday on the dyno... same thing.

We believe there not to be any pressure build-up past the bores into the coolant system, as the pressure in the coolant system stays pretty static. Although it is weird that the weeping only occurs when on boost and only on the dyno......

I have included photo's for the results

I think the photo is not showing (don't know how), just right mouse click and select show photo in new tab..(sorry)

My mate thinks it could be due to the wire rings not allowing the GrpA gasket to clamp enough?

ANY IDEAS?????

Hope somebody has experienced this before so can give me some advice as I am pretty over the Cossie engine @ the mo (it has been a loooooong car rebuild) and just want to go and give it some on the nearest track......

Last edited by daxman; 02-05-2010 at 04:35 AM.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:17 AM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

V unlikely to be the wire rings causing it, is the block 100% flat, though you can get away with a bit using the group a gasket, what torque are you using on the HG, I use 120lbft using ARP stud/nut, making sure to check for stud bottoming,(using -5mm here), rest for minimum 4 hours then retorque full.
tabetha
Old 02-05-2010, 04:38 PM
gingerturbo
The annoying ginger guy

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

as tabetha said about the block being 100% flat also you said the heads bin lightly skimmed is that aslo 100% flat
Old 02-05-2010, 09:50 PM
daxman
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the response guys.

I will check out your advice. I think we torqued to LESS than 120 Nm as that is what ARP recommended......

I would like to think that the block is straight as I have not don a lot of miles in 7 years with the cars since full rebuild. I think I remember my mate checking and it being straight....

I will report back what we find...