Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

Brake judder

Search this Thread

Old 17-02-2010, 06:14 PM
xr_craig
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Brake judder

I've got a nasty judder under braking. Everything is virtually new and the problem seemed to come on suddenly. I've since discovered that there is a fair bit of play in the steering coupling, so i'm going to get that sorted. But is that the likely cause of the judder? Or should i be looking elsewhere?

I've had a look and everything is tight and i can't find an obvious problem. The car is very harsh so it difficult to determine a cause.

The brakes are new and have hardly done anything. It's got new adjustable TCA's. ARB is polybushed. Topmount bushes are new genuine ones. The only thing really that isn't new is the topmounts themselves. And the coilovers have had a fair bit of use too. But i can't really see that being the issue as the car handles fine.

Anyone got any ideas?

cheers

Craig

Last edited by xr_craig; 17-02-2010 at 06:19 PM.
Old 18-02-2010, 10:33 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check the disc runout, most judder is caused by DTV, and not warping, that is disc thickness variation, also check things like seized pistons if 2wd especially as there more likelyhood of jams.
In an ideal world you would get no judder of course, if it's 4wd and you use it hard then most likely to be the discs, as the calipers pads do not press evenly, and so in effect try to move the disc sideways, the different pressure can be seen in the pads which never wear evenly.
tabetha
Old 19-02-2010, 04:23 PM
xr_craig
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by tabetha
Check the disc runout, most judder is caused by DTV, and not warping, that is disc thickness variation, also check things like seized pistons if 2wd especially as there more likelyhood of jams.
In an ideal world you would get no judder of course, if it's 4wd and you use it hard then most likely to be the discs, as the calipers pads do not press evenly, and so in effect try to move the disc sideways, the different pressure can be seen in the pads which never wear evenly.
tabetha
It is 4wd mate but it's got 6 pots on. I'll have a look at the discs over the weekend.
Old 19-02-2010, 06:37 PM
dazcossie
sapphire cosworth 4wd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

craig i had the same problem with mine mate braking from say 100mph hard and the judder and vibration was shocking so i changed the discs and pads.all sorted now brakes straight as a dye.its on standard size discs.hope you get it sorted mate