Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

oil leak new engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 07:45 PM
opposite lock
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default oil leak new engine

Done 600 miles on new engine built by a pro, new gaskets throughout, seems to be either the rocker cover or a camshaft seal, its all oily near the front of the head by the temp sender . Only noticed it when we were underneath the car and spotted the sump oily n traced it upto the area its comin from.
Is it me or are the camshaft seals shit and the likely culprit, always thought the rocker covers usually are ok.
There is one other question i have and tht is i was wondering if 2.57% CO (MOT) on L6 standard chip is enough to contaminate the oil enough to the point it starts degrading my gaskets/seals? Mobil 1 15-50 , all standard other than air filter , exhaust . i personally dont think tht co level is enough to overfuel it, but I think the co is slightly higher than it should be, or is tht ok?

thanks Mike
Old 02-10-2009, 07:58 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

CO is best around 2-2.5% so that's ok, it is rich but not enough to cause problems, they
seem to like this around that amount on std ecu's.
Get the oil out NOW, it's a ace oil, but NOT for a new engine, it will never bed in correctly, you should be running a mineral oil, ie non synthetic.
The most likely areas at the front are either the cam seals, VITON is best but £9 per seal, but they are industrial, high temp seals viton is.
Or what's more likely is they forgot/didn't put sealant under the front cam caps/bearing retainers.
If they are "pro" and they don't know this I wouldn't use them again.
tabetha
Old 02-10-2009, 05:57 PM
opposite lock
PassionFord Post Troll

All sorted today!!!!! Been back to engine builder, the rocker cover gasket was the cause, put a cometic one on and seems fine at the moment.

Tabetha, thanks for the reply co is good then...... sweet.
The engine was dyno,d for 3 hours on mineral plus my 600miles with the mobil .
Yes we,ve put the sealant in the right places.
Big thanks to Ben at bluesprint today , top man .