Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

couple of questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2004, 04:00 PM
Anonymous
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default couple of questions

Firstly what is the cost of a stage 1 tune on a 2wd cossie.
And secondly,and more importantly, i seem to be using a lot of oil. I have had to add about 1 lt in the past 2 weeks which is when i bought it.I do about 250 miles per week and drive quite nicely most of the time. It doesnt seem to be kicking that much out the back and i cant see a leak. What could be causing it. I am getting a little coming from the breather into the air box so ive vented it into a tin can for the time being and about a tea spoon has come through in the last week. Any ideas?
Old 01-03-2004, 06:48 PM
plater
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If there's no visible leak and your going through a litre every 500 miles then its safe to assume that either the piston rings are worn or the turbo has seen better days, it may be a combination of wear on many parts and the engine could well be overdue for a rebuild. On a lighter note , all cossie engines use oil to a greater or lesser degree depending on age and driving style but not as much as you've quoted, dont worry though just keep topping her up. As for the cost of a stage 1 , well all you need is a chip and an adjustment on the standard actuator to run 15 psi and push 260/270 bhp. A Chip will not cost much more than £20 or £30 secondhand but a word of warning, if your motor is worn and using a lot of oil then its safe to assume that the oil pressure will not be the greatest and upping the power on a tired engine by another 50 or 60 bhp could prove terminal, not only to the car but also your wallet.....ah the joys of owning a cossie

Old 01-03-2004, 07:48 PM
Anonymous
Banned

second platers commets !!!

I made the mistake of buying a VERY tired 2wd saff and turned up the boost !!!

A £5k rebuild was required and now all well !!!
Old 01-03-2004, 10:30 PM
Anonymous
Banned

its going into pj motorsports on wednesday for a check over. Where can i find a second hand chip? And what would it then cost to have it set up right?also it does heat up quite quikly. Even driving home from work at 11pm on these freezing nights it reaches the middle of normal within 3 miles, although its never gone much further. Is this normal?
Old 01-03-2004, 10:59 PM
plater
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont worry about it warming up quickly, thats normal, my 4x4 is the same and has been since i bought it 4 years ago. Ford water temperature gauges are renowned for being crap , as long as the needle sits somewhere within the NORM range and doesn't overheat and as long as the twin fans cut in when they should everything will be as it should be. As for a secondhand chip, well you could bid for one on ebay but thats a bit dodgy, alternatively , post a wanted ad on here or the RSOC site , there's a lot of new cossie owners upgrading their cars to stage 3 and most would be happy to sell you their old stage 1 chips.