Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

Can anyone help please

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 02:47 AM
captiva
PassionFord Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can anyone help please

I'm battling with an oil leak from the front of the camshafts and so far I have
Changed the two main seals, twice
Changed the small O rings twice
Changed valve cover gasket once
Sealed under the front caps twice
Changed the half moon seals twice
Sealed under gasket/half moon seals

Now I'm thinking the steel spacer behind the cam wheel is either worn where the seal runs or is on the wrong way around, the taper is engine side, is this correct as the seal is only just running on it. I'm thinking the previous owner might have put it on back to front. Does anyone know please before I set fire to it?
Old 03-07-2009, 10:22 AM
Sonic Boom
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

What spec is the engine?
Do you have a oil breather fitted?
Might just be to much pressure and blowing the seals.
Rich
Old 03-07-2009, 12:33 PM
captiva
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by Sonic Boom
What spec is the engine?
Do you have a oil breather fitted?
Might just be to much pressure and blowing the seals.
Rich
It's stage 3 and yes it has a modified breather, pipes from where the kidney box was and one from below the turbo. Wouldn't I get oil leaks from other seals like crankshaft? I'm going to investigate that anyway thanks
Old 03-07-2009, 08:57 PM
Sonic Boom
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by captiva
It's stage 3 and yes it has a modified breather, pipes from where the kidney box was and one from below the turbo. Wouldn't I get oil leaks from other seals like crankshaft? I'm going to investigate that anyway thanks
Do you have a breather port from the top of the rocker cover too?
Rich
Old 03-07-2009, 10:21 PM
captiva
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by Sonic Boom
Do you have a breather port from the top of the rocker cover too?
Rich
No I don't but I think I have figured it out with your help thank you. I made the breather cannister, as it is hard to get Cossie bits in Canada, and I copied one from my sons race car, which is normally aspirated, where I have two big pipes going into the cannister and one small pipe as a breather to atmosphere. TWO INTO ONE DON'T GO! The other clue is that it does not leak when idling only after using boost. Hope I haven't buggered up other seals on the block. We are going to disconnect the two big pipes and hang them under the car, wash the engine and give it some welly, I'll let you know what happens. Thank you once again.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:18 PM
Sonic Boom
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by captiva
No I don't but I think I have figured it out with your help thank you. I made the breather cannister, as it is hard to get Cossie bits in Canada, and I copied one from my sons race car, which is normally aspirated, where I have two big pipes going into the cannister and one small pipe as a breather to atmosphere. TWO INTO ONE DON'T GO! The other clue is that it does not leak when idling only after using boost. Hope I haven't buggered up other seals on the block. We are going to disconnect the two big pipes and hang them under the car, wash the engine and give it some welly, I'll let you know what happens. Thank you once again.
The breather system isn't just a case of a canister it needs to be baffled correctly to seperate the oil and air, plus you really need a breather from the top of the rocker cover as you get quite a build of gases even on a stage 3 engine.

Rich

Last edited by Sonic Boom; 03-07-2009 at 11:20 PM.