Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

4500rpm mis-fire fixed

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 11:27 PM
Char1ie
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4500rpm mis-fire fixed

I had a problem on track, when my car hit 4500rpm it started stuttering and wouldn't rev higher. Thanks all for your suggestions. I checked the fuel pressure (in range) and phase sensor (gapped correctly and reading correct resistance) and then checked the CPS gap which was too big. Altered this to .8mm.

I had a challenge with the fix as my car is a race car and the problem only happened under load at high rpm. This morning, I booked two MOTs 5 miles apart on the A3, added the car to the home car insurance for a few days and drove the race car on the A3 between two junctions. The problem is fixed and my car went like a train!

I've never driven a Cossie on the road before and I was really surprised at how fast it is compared to the Saturday morning shopping traffic on the A3. My speedo doesn't work so I've never really thought about it's speed before.

To all you nutters with massive BPM I reckon I have 280 and that is plenty! It scared me when the wheels started spinning on boost in third.

Also I have rigged a cold air feed into the standard airbox, replacing an under-bonnet cone filter. This has really made a difference.

Thanks all for your suggestions.

Charlie
Old 05-04-2009, 01:13 AM
Paul_RS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Glad to hear its sorted
Old 05-04-2009, 06:55 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Char1ie
Also I have rigged a cold air feed into the standard airbox, replacing an under-bonnet cone filter. This has really made a difference.
the standard airbox had a cold air feed as standard. there is a plastic duct that goes from the airbox to the side of the intercooler but you don't find many of them as people tended to throw them away for some reason
Old 05-04-2009, 07:02 AM
boothy
BANNED
BANNED

Sounds good mate, lets hope you didnt get any speeding tickets
Old 05-04-2009, 09:19 AM
Char1ie
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Originally Posted by foreigneRS
the standard airbox had a cold air feed as standard. there is a plastic duct that goes from the airbox to the side of the intercooler but you don't find many of them as people tended to throw them away for some reason
Actually I still have this - it's a square section tube but I couldn't make it fit so I used a piece of metal air duct and gaffer taped it so it's airtight. It takes air from just in front of the intercooler by the front grill.

Donington in two weeks time - 19th of April. I think it'll go well there but I've never been to the circuit before.

Charlie
Old 05-04-2009, 09:53 AM
Matt Baxter
Back in black!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Donington in two weeks time - 19th of April. I think it'll go well there but I've never been to the circuit before.

Charlie
I did a track day(bike) at donington and loved it(sure you will to)
its a very fast track and the tarmac was super smooth, good luck mate!
Old 06-04-2009, 08:13 AM
Mike1
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

To all you nutters with massive BPM I reckon I have 280 and that is plenty! It scared me when the wheels started spinning on boost in third.

Thanks all for your suggestions.

Charlie
Is your car much lighter than a standard one Charlie? If so, your power to weight would be higher than a normal road car with 280 and a full interior