Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

strange ABS

Search this Thread

Old 26-11-2004, 07:36 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Default strange ABS

ok, we've probably nearly all had problems with the ABS system.

mine is like this (LHD 2wd cossie - the distribution block is together with the pump/accumulator/reservoir unit on LHD)

the system pumps up fine when you go to key position 1 ad both warning lights go off. i drive off normally, and the abs is working and will prevent lock up at a reasonable speed.

when i slow down to between 15 and 10 mph, there is a fast clicking sound coming from the pedal box / abs unit area, and the pedal goes hard. come to a stop and it is normal again, or go faster and it is normal.

anyone got any ideas?
Old 26-11-2004, 08:04 AM
pugo
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an intermittant fault with a cossie and it was the abs relay in the passenger side footwell was fooked and would not always fire the pump when needed.....took me a bloody age to find as one minute it would work then the next it wouldn't and that used go into a click frenzy!

Pugo
Old 26-11-2004, 08:40 PM
righthooker
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

had similar problem on a 4by 4 i had ages ago and it was the abs sensors that got changed and did the trick
Old 29-11-2004, 08:52 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

yeah, i thinks that's what i should try next. maybe best to get it into a dealer and have them connect a diagnostic system to the abs first as the sensors probably aren't cheap.
Old 29-11-2004, 09:39 PM
righthooker
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

probably aren't cheap
went to a dealer in hamburg at the time and i am sure it was only 200DM to get them changed Nick,worth a visit (not to hamburg,unless you fancy the reeper bahn )
Old 30-11-2004, 07:33 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

sounds far too reasonable, but will check it out. cheers mate
Old 07-12-2004, 02:17 PM
nicksaph
PassionFord Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hello mate
you think you've strange ABS, the abs light on my car is constantly on when you start the car abs not working at all. but when you drive on to a four post ramp and switch engine off and restart it the abs goes through its self test routine and the lamp goes out, as soon as you reverse the car off the ramp the lamp comes on again. every thing has been tested many times both the relays have been changed, all the sensors seem to be in good working, fluid level is where it should be all connection are clean, has anybody else got any ideas please
regards nick.
Old 08-12-2004, 07:15 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

that is weird. have you checked the condition of the trigger rings? if they're rusty and don't have good clean gaps you get trouble.

your problem could also be a dodgy connection somewhere that coincidentally jolted good going up the ramp. check the ecu connector and wiring.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:40 AM
nicksaph
PassionFord Regular

hello mate
all the trigger rings are nice and clean and rust free as much as they can be. i have to go VERY slow on to the ramp because it only just clears the bumper, exhauts etc, and if it did work when jolting on some of the roads i drive on the abs light would be flashing like a man in a rain mac i have checked all the connectors and wires as best as i can, it really is baffling me, i have had problems with abs on fords befor and have 99% of the time cured them sucessfully. i have had all the sensors out and checked them, replaced the abs relays and fuses the only thing i haven't changed is the ecu! but i haven't been able to find one in a brakers yard yet( i belive the xr4x4 has the same ecu). i think i am going to get some sensors and try them as well(they might be coming from the brakers yard! very expensive when you have got to buy 4, see if that cures the prob then might buy some new ones.) thanks for the replies i hope you cure yours and i will let you know how i get on.
Old 09-12-2004, 07:01 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

cool nick. if you get anoter ecu, make sure that the connector is the same colour. yellow on early 2wd, red on later 2wd and green on 4x4 (the red & green could e the wrong way around). they are programmed differently, and have different pin layouts, and the plugs will not physically fit another colour.
Old 09-12-2004, 09:47 AM
nicksaph
PassionFord Regular

hello mate
its a 4x4 and mine has got a sticker on saying that it must only be used on a car with 4x4 transmission. so i will be looking for the same type of sticker.
thanks for the info about the different colours its worth knowing for future ref.
i am off to the scrap yard now i will let you know how i get on
cheeRS nick.
Old 23-12-2004, 12:29 AM
dark3drcos.kickass
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

i have same prob on my 3dr i will try sensors i beleive grandad ones should be same, anyone?
Old 23-12-2004, 04:56 PM
nicksaph
PassionFord Regular

granada ones are same lenght but have different grommets, so you have to cut them off and fit the sierra ones,
i have just replaced mine and the light is stll on. but it dosen't go off when i drive on to my four post ramp now so somthing has happend, i will try the ECU next.

begging time now
has anyone got a abs ECU for a 4x4 i can borrow to see if that is the problem?
cool nick. if you get anoter ecu, make sure that the connector is the same colour. yellow on early 2wd, red on later 2wd and green on 4x4 (the red & green could e the wrong way around). they are programmed differently, and have different pin layouts, and the plugs will not physically fit another colour.
mine has got a red plug so it must be the outher way round. thanks mate.
Old 03-01-2005, 08:05 PM
Dean Saff

I Have the same prob as you Nick. ABS light stays on all the time infact it dosn't go out??
Let me know how you get on,
Old 05-05-2005, 10:29 PM
Dean Saff

Originally Posted by Dean Saff
I Have the same prob as you Nick. ABS light stays on all the time infact it dosn't go out??
Let me know how you get on,
Ive changed all my sensors and now the light comes on after about 10 - 20 miles an hour??

Might check the trigger rings next.
Old 06-05-2005, 09:53 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

mine is sorted. changed front sensors and made sure that surface between hub and sensor was clean and shiny.