Ford Sierra/Sapphire/RS500 Cosworth This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Sierra Cosworth.

What things to look for when buying a saff coss

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2006, 04:26 PM
TGTURBO
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What things to look for when buying a saff coss

Im posting this on behalf of a friend who is about to start looking 4 a saff cossie . Just arfter a few tips were the main rust spots are + what to check check on the engine hes got about 4 to 5 k to spend is this enough for a decent saff thanks for your time
Old 05-04-2006, 05:08 PM
NUTTIN RILLA
PassionFord Post Troll

check the usual things when going to buy a car, ie rust, general body work, new panels any paint or that, saphs are bad for rusting on the rear arches, also check rear chassy legs, check the jacking area around the sills, these cars have been jacked up a right few times and many people dont take care, all interiors will show some kind of ware, the drivers bolster on the seats are favorites, check general interior for stuff like fag burns ect,

In the engine bay check inner wings for crease`s incase if its had a bump, check the general tidyness, ie clean tidy , no oil all over the place, try and meet at his house that way you can hear the car start from cold, dont worry if its a little tappy at first, they usually are, as long as it doesnt smoke badly, let it heat up a bit and take it for a run, dont be scared to give it a good bit, if he`s driving tell him to hurt it, dont want to take it half way home and give it a bit and it dies, watch any gauges it has and try and look out the back window or get a friend to follow, look out for blue smoke, if its black or a dirty colour dont worry too much it will probably just be fuel, if its blue then its burning oil from somewhere, could be turbo, valve stems, rings, a few things really, ask the guy every question you have, check all mot`s and receipts, make sure there not dodgy, dont hesitate to say no, if its not the right one just wait

Good luck

p.s make sure you get an H.P.I check on it first before you go see it
Old 06-04-2006, 03:22 PM
TurboShed
Cossiemodo

With Saff prices what they are these days, if he has Ł5K to spend he can get a good one.
Old 06-04-2006, 06:09 PM
KSA-Cossie
Professional Waffler

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

http://www.rsownersclub.co.uk/CosworthBuyersGuide.pdf
Old 09-04-2006, 09:07 AM
cozzfather
C.R.E.A.M.

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i would check for cut and shuts i have seen them and they are not pretty
the c post completely cut and welded both sides and the floor below the rear seat base welded and stonechipped,you wouldn't want to be in a proper bang in one of these,then i would start checking every thing else
there is too much to list just check everything on a cozzie