Ford Mondeo Including ST Discuss all things about the Ford Mondeo from all models inc the ST220/200 etc in here!

Few TDCI questions!

Search this Thread

Old 15-08-2012, 07:55 PM
RichieL
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Few TDCI questions!

I have just bought a 2005 Mondeo 115 TDCI.

She is in excellent condition and had 1 previous owner, but she has covered 135k.

There are no receipts for a clutch which seems to be a problem on these cars.....What are signs to lookout for?

Also....Aux belt has not been changed and looking on the net they say to change the tensioner as well......Is this really needed as the kit is expensive but the belt is of a reasonable price.

Also.....I filled my tank up to the top the other day. I have done 115 miles in her and the fuel gauge has not moved, I am worried about this. I am used to big engined petrol cars though and the most economical car I have had in the past did 29mpg!

And lastly!! I am thinking about a re-map.....Will it change her performance by a lot as in I will notice it?
Old 15-08-2012, 08:47 PM
Cossy Mike
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 60 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by RichieL
I have just bought a 2005 Mondeo 115 TDCI.

She is in excellent condition and had 1 previous owner, but she has covered 135k.

There are no receipts for a clutch which seems to be a problem on these cars.....What are signs to lookout for?

Also....Aux belt has not been changed and looking on the net they say to change the tensioner as well......Is this really needed as the kit is expensive but the belt is of a reasonable price.

Also.....I filled my tank up to the top the other day. I have done 115 miles in her and the fuel gauge has not moved, I am worried about this. I am used to big engined petrol cars though and the most economical car I have had in the past did 29mpg!

And lastly!! I am thinking about a re-map.....Will it change her performance by a lot as in I will notice it?
I would change the belt just to be safe, dead easy job to do. Wouldn't bother with the tensioner at all unless it's slipping.

Clutch and flywheel, mines been done......look out for 'rumbling' on idle and bad starting.

FUEL - If you've brimmed it right to the neck that sounds about right. It's seems to take an age for the fuel gauge to show use, then once it gets to half way it'll drop off much quicker.....
Old 15-08-2012, 08:52 PM
Karl 3dr
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

The clutch isn't as much of a problem as the dual mass wheels that are fitted to these tbh, a tell tale sign is if you can feel a pulsing or vibration through the clutch pedal when lightly depressed or a rattle when you turn the engine off.

As for the auxiliary belt, they suffered with the tensioners going weak and causing a loud rattle at idle, i would suggest changing the tensioner at the same time as the belt tbh, along with the front crank pulley, they have a damper in them which also go weak.

Don't know much about remapping diesels tbh but i would be a little wary at that mileage if its on its original turbo, my father in law had his vw transporter remapped at a similar mileage and the turbo failed quite soon after.

Hope that helps, Karl
Old 15-08-2012, 09:16 PM
craig_southampton
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

That is normal about the fuel gauge mine is the same. u will get over 600 miles to a tank. and in mine doesn't matter how u drive u will still get about the same.
Old 16-08-2012, 03:03 AM
RichieL
Regular Contributor

Thanks guys!!

So re-mapping may not be the best idea due to extra stress on the Turbo? Wonder if a de-cat pipe would free up some extra horses?