Ford Mondeo Including ST Discuss all things about the Ford Mondeo from all models inc the ST220/200 etc in here!

2.2 Mondeo brakes - does anyone actually know ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 04:00 PM
smartst

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.2 Mondeo brakes - does anyone actually know ?

guys i need some advice, what causes brake squeal ?

replaced all discs and pads with PAGID parts - huge squeals when driving at slow speed and during braking, in fact wobbling the steering made it squeal, so changed discs 3 times under warranty with pads stilll no better, on 4th attempt changed the disc manufacturer on front squeal has now finally gone at last but now squeals from the back brakes, took rear pads off to inspect and they were full of meat at the top but there was a visible reduction of meat the lower down the pad in fact at the base of the internal pads i was scrapping metal the pads were literally worn at a diagonal - how can this be when the caliper is pushing the pad flat against the disc ? this was the same on both sides of the rear brakes ? total loss how this could of happened, the pads are only 10 weeks old, had to replace them so put on ferodo pads to see if these do the same.
Rear brakes still slightly squealing as i drive and noise gets louder when i brake - any views guys, is it possible that after market pads and discs do not match the dimensions of Ford parts and so there is movement in the calipers ? i am at a total loss, rear alloys are warm to touch after a run so still not running freely, all calipers have been checked and cleaned 5 times now.
On the verge of scrapping the brakes and buying new discs and pads all round but ford parts but this will cost a bit let alone the small fortune i have paid out so far - fluid was changed 10 weeks ago as well - any views guys. thanks in advance.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:11 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

Hand brake cable is almost certainly faulty and almost certainly the cause of the problems at the rear
Old 10-07-2012, 04:14 PM
Twins
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 118 Likes on 110 Posts

Had a simliar problem with aftermarket disks warping ,done it twice in under 1k miles on two fresh sets, now changed to gen ford done about 5k now no issues what so ever
Old 10-07-2012, 04:20 PM
Bailes1992
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Tried putting a little copper grease behind the pads?
Old 10-07-2012, 10:16 PM
smartst

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the replies so far,

yes each time they were removed the calipers were wire brushed down and copper grease used -at one point the garage even ground down the corners of the pads as this does sometimes help reduce squeal but not this time.

hand brake cable checked and running free, no binding at all, its when i drive and brakes warm up slightly then they just start to squeak and squeal at the back end.