Ford Mondeo Including ST Discuss all things about the Ford Mondeo from all models inc the ST220/200 etc in here!

Mondeo tuning

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 02:26 PM
cisggy
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mondeo tuning

Hi everyone,

I have a mk3 mondeo 2l (51 plate), and was wondering what the options are for tuning. Ideally I would like more power (obviously), without sacrificing engine longevity, fuel economy or refinement (is this possible?)

My thoughts on the matter so far are a new exhaust and manifold (any ideas where I would source these from? - I have heard good things about powerflow -although as far as i know they do not do the manifolds). Hopefully I would find something that won't be any louder, is discreet (don't fancy drain pipe exhaust - hidden or something that looks original would be ideal), and will release a bit more power, and liberate a few more mpg's (provided i dont use the power!)

The other idea I had was a new induction system along the same lines, again not sacrificing refinement if possible - K&N?

I have also heard good things about ecotec - does anyone have any experience of this? It claims to release a few more hp and mpg, but i'm not so sure of it...

With these things i think i should be able to go from 145 - maybe 160 or 165bhp, any thoughts? also wondering if it would raise the combined mpg figure too to around 38...?

only thing i think i would avoid (unless i can be convinced otherwise) is a remap - my understanding is that this would affect engine reliability long term...

Thanks!
Old 02-09-2011, 02:28 PM
cisggy
Virgin

also thinking replacing inlet manifold may not be a bad idea to avoid the issues i have heard with the butterfly valves...

perhaps useful to not that I have access to very good machining facilities at work if modification is necessary...
Old 02-09-2011, 02:34 PM
LukeDaisley
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

The engine will go pop at about 100k. either bottom end or the chain will slip.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:39 PM
Joshy
Dreamer

You have the Duratec family of engine under your bonnet

unfortunatly, the weight of the mondeo is going to count against you tuning your car as its naturally aspirated (no turbo).

the same engine is found in the fiesta ST so parts are available even if there not listed for your vehicle.

the engines respond well to breathing modifications including aftermarket manifolds and exhaust's, new camshafts and performance replacment air filters.

a new exhaust manifold and air filter wont net you much on their own, but combined with a remap should see you to 160bhp quite easily.

you may find that the Fiesta ST has a more performance orientated set of camshafts and inlet manifold as standard and would be an easy swap into your mondeo engine.

I think 38mpg is a bit far out of reach though, the turbo diesel is a better choice of engine for a large car like yours in terms or economy and performance in my opinion..

Josh

Last edited by Joshy; 02-09-2011 at 02:40 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:50 PM
simo2k2000
PassionFord Regular

I average about 38mpg with mixed driving. Same car with 110k on the clock.

I thought about tinkering with it... But even with exhaust, cams, inlet and remap you're only looking at about 190bhp maximum (if you believe the claims for the Fiesta ST). The ST220 will still be another 30bhp more powerful and you could buy one for the amount of money it will cost you to do your car up.

I wouldn't bother mate personally
Old 02-09-2011, 03:12 PM
cisggy
Virgin

Thanks for all the replies!

sirbuynsellalot can you explain a bit more?

I did notice its the same engine as the st, so there could be some parts out there, and i thought 38mpg would be achievable as i regularly get 36... although it could make far less difference than i hope!

I know just buying an st would make more sense (or even just the 2.5v6) but my thoughts were that it could be possible to get v6 performance without the terrible economy. although i'm thinking now maybe it would just be better to save for the 2.2tdci...

if anyone does know how much things would cost though I would be very interested, and any views on remaps?
Old 02-09-2011, 03:15 PM
simo2k2000
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by cisggy
Thanks for all the replies!

sirbuynsellalot can you explain a bit more?

I did notice its the same engine as the st, so there could be some parts out there, and i thought 38mpg would be achievable as i regularly get 36... although it could make far less difference than i hope!

I know just buying an st would make more sense (or even just the 2.5v6) but my thoughts were that it could be possible to get v6 performance without the terrible economy. although i'm thinking now maybe it would just be better to save for the 2.2tdci...

if anyone does know how much things would cost though I would be very interested, and any views on remaps?
Remaps are fine and actually increase mpg under normal driving. If you are going to go ahead and do it I would install all of the bolt on mods and then remap to suit
Old 02-09-2011, 03:23 PM
Fiddy
10K+ Poster!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Unless your willing to spend a fortune on Cosworth inlet manifolds, superchargers, or turbo's, your not really going to get any major gains from a 2 litre duratec. get rid of it and buy a V6. with the normal 170bhp 2.5 you can change the parts to ST200 spec, UIM,LIM etc, and see 200+bhp for not a lot of money.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:26 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

save your money, get the 2.2 diseasal
spend money on that
decat and remap will give you plenty of poke
Old 02-09-2011, 06:33 PM
Chaz888
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by Fiddy
Unless your willing to spend a fortune on Cosworth inlet manifolds, superchargers, or turbo's, your not really going to get any major gains from a 2 litre duratec. get rid of it and buy a V6. with the normal 170bhp 2.5 you can change the parts to ST200 spec, UIM,LIM etc, and see 200+bhp for not a lot of money.
Im with fiddy on this one get a v6 and do the st parts or just get a st200/220
Old 02-09-2011, 08:41 PM
LukeDaisley

I have had 5 mk3 petrols 3 done the bottom end 1 sucked the butterfly's in the head and the other slipped the chain due the tensioner giving up. then talking to people wile trying to get the new engines they were all saying the same thing.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:42 PM
LukeDaisley

imo the diesel st is the second best mondeo made. the best being the 4x4.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:17 PM
boaby
Miester

Originally Posted by sirbuynsellalot
I have had 5 mk3 petrols 3 done the bottom end 1 sucked the butterfly's in the head and the other slipped the chain due the tensioner giving up. then talking to people wile trying to get the new engines they were all saying the same thing.
why did you buy another if you got 4 shit one's?
Old 09-09-2011, 03:29 PM
LukeDaisley

Originally Posted by boaby
why did you buy another if you got 4 shit one's?
puting them back on the road.