Ford Mondeo Including ST Discuss all things about the Ford Mondeo from all models inc the ST220/200 etc in here!

mot brake issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 09:07 PM
emmamas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry mot brake issues

Well mondeo mk2 went in for its mot today and failed on one thing. The ns front brake hose was twisted and rubbing in some bit of metal. So hubby removed front calliper and untwisted it and put it back on. Ten min job and it was sorted or so I thought. Now the brakes are spongy and pedal touching the floor. Didn't remove hose so assume it didnt need bleeding plus the system was bled a few days ago. Did it anyway and one tiny bubble came out. Brakes still spongy and not a clue why. Any suggestions?

Just gone for a test drive and breaks firm up when you pump them in succession but when you brake once the peddle hits the floor. Is that a lack of pressure? Getting really pissed off now!

Thanks guys
Old 14-08-2011, 04:33 PM
legolas
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has the hose worn through where it was rubbing?
Were the brakes ok before the MoT?
When the caliper was removed, did one of the metal hose ends get 'tugged' (brake calipers are quite heavy and if they dangle it can damage the ends)?

I'd have a good look round for tiny fluid leaks. I guess it's also possible that during an MoT the testers will give the brakes a bit of a work out which might finish off a weakness, whereas if you tend to drive very sparingly on the brakes it might not have shown up before.

Do you have drum brakes on the back? If so the slave cylinders can go when they're disturbed or suddenly worked harder than normal. I changed the rear brake shoes on mine a while back and there was a trace of a leak inside one drum, but by the time I'd fitted the shoes it p**sing out! Then the second drum, which hadn't been leaking, also started weeping the moment I started work on that side. I replaced both rear slave cylinders and the brake fluid and the brakes worked better than ever.

Hope it helps.