Ford Focus ST This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus ST range

Newbie needing advice please

Search this Thread

Old 17-06-2011, 01:16 PM
tyson675
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie needing advice please

Hi All!
I'm picking up an 02 Focus ST170 tomorrow,but I'm getting a little cautious.The car doesn't have full service history,it has some,I've done a text check on it and last recorded mileage was 37000 in 2006.
The garage says he has printouts of the mileage from vosa?
Is this possible?Does that tie in with the mot's??
The steering wheel is really worn too on the top of it,is this normal for this mileage?
The var drives fine,no rattles squeaks or knocks etc,still pulls like a train.
Any advice or pointers is greatly appreciated!
Old 18-06-2011, 09:11 PM
minder
PassionFord Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hi mate
the ST170s are bullet prof there are a few things that needs to be done to them which are the timing belt and pulleys need to be changed at 100.000 miles as do the clutch and dmf ( but the clutch can go when ever)i had mine done at 100.000 miles.1 common fault with them is that the clutch master cylinder starts
to leek and green fluid will seep onto the floor(under the clutch peddle) the rear wash pipe just under the head lining can come apart and is a twat to get at to put back together.the heat shields can come lose and rattle.lamber censors do give up at some point.and need to be changed.other than that they are a great car had mine going on 4 years and never had such a great car love it.as for the mileage thing your talking about the steering wheel should be like new not worn on the top (dont sound good) what you need to do is check that the screws which hold the cover that sits around the clocks are black in colour and not silver in the middle if they are that means 1 of 2 things 1 being the clocks have been changed (if so when & why) 2 the car have been clocked in which case walk away mate LEAVE IT WELL ALONE if i
can be of any more help the please fell free to ask GOOD LUCK
Old 19-06-2011, 09:35 PM
craigfocus
Regular Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i can remember been told if you get the logbook reference number you can check the old mots online on either vosa or the dvla website, i was told a while ago but its something along those lines, worth looking into
Old 20-06-2011, 10:50 AM
tyson675
Virgin

Hi guys
Thanks for the replies,but they were too late.ha ha.
I bought the car,got full mileage printout,full hpi reports and the bloke put 12months mot on it and it sailed thru,but we all know u can buy them at a price!
I checked the cluster screws,they've never seen a screwdriver so that's good.
The cars done 76k,but still feels tight and pulls well,but gonna have the belt and pulleys done asap for peace of mind!
The steering wheel thing Is weird,but I've noticed that's exactly where I put my hand to turn the wheel(with palm)so maybe it is just worn.
It also has the famous yellow scratches/cracking thing going on from the xenons which IMO really spoils the look:-(
Old 21-06-2011, 06:45 PM
minder
PassionFord Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

glad you got it sorted and your happy with it thats the main thing get some
pics up of it
Old 21-06-2011, 07:08 PM
tyson675
Virgin

Cheers mate.
I'm really happy with it,so's the missus(upped from a W reg KA!!!)
Having a baby in 3 week so it's a fun family car
I'm gonna try upload some pics this weekend,but bare with me coz it's pretty busy at the mo!
Thanks for the replies and advice tho,brilliant forum!