Ford Focus ST This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus ST range

Ford focus ST170 Brakes and Tyres

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 04:06 PM
scottyfocus
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ford focus ST170 Brakes and Tyres

Well the time has come to replace the lot, disks pads and tyres. Going to get it serviced too...

Whats the best?

Ive heard Falken are a good tyre?

I think ill probably stick with the standard disks and pads unless i can be recomended a better set.

Will it be possible to get the lot on ebay as can be very pricey going through a garage?

Get the lot done now and save up for a lowering kit and bluefin for the summer is the plan, and a bit of a respray
Old 08-01-2011, 08:52 PM
alexst0ne
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in a similar position. Got a set of Falkens just before xmas having had them on a previous car to replace my Toyo Proxes, and they're excellent so far...

As for the brakes- i got Mintex pads all round with Front Mintex discs and some random stock discs for the rear off ebay. I've only fitted the fronts so far and the only problem is i think the offside disc is ever so slightly not perfectly flat but otherwise seem better than the Greenstuff that was on there before. Just need to get round to fitting the back ones now!
Old 09-01-2011, 10:38 AM
scottyfocus
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah im think im going to go with the Falkens, they seem the best all round tyre.

As for disks and pads, would anyone be ok with putting these on your car?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DRILLED-GROOVE...item45e8b1fc5f
Old 09-01-2011, 03:23 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go for Hankook Ventus Evo V12, tyres, that's what I use on the cossie, around the same price as toyo T1R, but better by a massive way than toyo, eagle f1 etc, I have used all the big name tyres, and they simply aren't worth the money, and I haven't found a better road tyre than the Evo V12 yet.
As for discs use grooved/drilled/dimpled but with ebc redstuff ceramic or yellowstuff, these are the ones I use, having used all the mintex ones as well as DS range, not found anything as an all round pad that is a patch on the yellows yet, inc DS 2500/3000.
tabetha
Old 10-01-2011, 03:46 PM
Sp3no
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have Red Stuff pads on my ST170 and they are great, even from cold they are OK. I had Green stuff previously but set fire to these quite quickly lol. Red stuff produced hardly any dust, green stuff produces SO SO SO much dust.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:13 PM
phil_focus
PassionFord Post Troll

I agree with tab on the tyres or the hancook ventus s1 evo. i got these in 205/55/16 on my mk1 focus and even in the wet i can drive bloody quick as they have soooo much grip! wet, dry, muddy back lanes full of cracks and potholes (i live in the sticks) and i've never had even the slightest hint of them giving way...AWSOME!

red stuff pads - i thought they were just ebc's good quality oem type pad with little dust. heard good things about yellow stuff though.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:23 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

I personally wouldn't use the greenstuff, esp the V4 formula(old one), the redstuff is awsome, I found them dusty, especially compared with yellowstuff, whose dust is transluscent in colour so doesn't look half as bad, the yellows work perfect from cold even on a winters day.
The reason I love ebc reds/yellows is FEEL, they have it in bucket loads most "feely" pads I've used, if you find a pad that you like better ebc have a money back warranty.
I'm putting redstuff on the gf's astra, only weighs 950kg but is killing greenstuff, also going up to 288mm discs at same time, I wouldn't do this if they didn't work perfect with no heat as the weight of the car is not going to generate as much heat but stil needs to be perfect.
I've not tried the S1 EVO tyres, still trying to figure out how/why hankook can produce such a outstanding tyre for the price when all the big name boys can't, suppose they are still trying to trade on their name from years gone by!!
tabetha