Ford Focus RS This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus RS Range.

2-3 probs with new st170

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 02:58 PM
scottyfocus
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2-3 probs with new st170

Hi there, i made a new thread not long ago about changin from a 1.8 to an st170, well i took the plunge and got one.

got a 52 plate 73k miles for just under 3k. its a top spec full leathers etc.

Anyway, there are a few probs im having with it...

i get a steering wheel shudder under braking, im guessing this is warped breaks? ill also add that they groan abit, although they are actually working well.

Also there seems to be a shudder on the accelerator pedal. Im not sure how to describe it, its like a very light tapping, but very rapid. One observation i have made is the accelerator pedal is very light compared to my 1.8.

The engine when ticking over sounds quite tinny, its like a tapping. Ive got it outside now cooling down and have just noticed an oil patch on the drive. so am going to check the oil if it needs some what oil will i need, also how would i fix the leak?

Thanks in adance
Old 10-10-2010, 01:01 PM
phil_focus
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

full leathers, you lucky bugger thats a rare optional extra!

i'd guess warped discs too mate.

throttle pedal vibration is to do with the throttle cable, it was fixed by ford in later models with a longer cable. you might be able to re-route it slightly so top it touching whatever is vibrating it.

the injectors are very noisy on th 1.8 and 2l black top zetec e's and seem to be louder on the st170. definately check the oil though and if its due a service then change it. you'll want a decent semi or full synthetic 5w/30 same as the 1.8 took.

if its leaking oil you need to find the leak first before you can work out how to fix it

i think there a sandwich plate where the oil filter is to feed the oil cooler and the ipes on that can corrode and leak so it might be that. if it is then you'll need a new one along with new oil and filter at the same time.
Old 10-10-2010, 01:14 PM
scottyfocus
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Phil, im quite relieved they seem quite simple problems to fix and i was quite worried to start with. Quick bit of research on here though soon calms my nerves

Gunna get some drilled/grooved discs put on all round next weekend, and hopefully the local ford garage can sort out the accelerator for free, or cheap anyway; as they're very pally with my dad, ha!

Then i can get down to the serious business, getting some half-decent mods on. Think ill get a straight through to start off with
And yeah mate full leather, sub, 6 disk cd changer all inc. It's what made me choose the car tbh as you can pick up lower mileage/newer ST's for about the same price.

Thanks again