Ford Focus RS This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus RS Range.

Custom remap and Cam options for ST170?

Search this Thread

Old 20-07-2009, 07:44 PM
Brow
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom remap and Cam options for ST170?

Hello.

After speaking to the guys at Superchips about Bluefin for my car and then being told I'd get less than the estimated 8 BHP increase for these cars due to mine having aftermarket Blueflame exhaust and K&N Panel filter, I've decided to (eventually) go for a custom ECU remap.

A few quick searches has brought BBR/Morego and Rapid Remap to my attention, among MANY others. BBR/Moregos ST170 Starchip/Remap estimates 12 - 14 BHP and 16 - 18 Newton Metres of torque increase (which seems good for £345) while Rapid Remap don't offer an ST170 remap at the moment.

In the latest issue of Fast Ford there's an advert for a Piper Cams kit for the ST170 for about £250 (or there abouts) with a vernier pulley (about £150ish) which also boasts about a 15BHP increase. Now, I'm a total Newb with all this stuff and won't claim to even know what they do, but the gains/improvements they claim to offer sounds ok to me for the relatively low price (not including fitting, which I have no idea about for £ value). Would something like these be worth it aswell as a custom remap?

Just wondered if anyone had any experience with BBR/Morego or if could recommend anyone else I could consider?

Thanks
Old 20-07-2009, 07:53 PM
jammerrs
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i beleive, from my understanding, looseing the vvt (due to the vernier pulley) the car would loose a little response lower down and torque!?

but vernier pulleys are essential to get the best bhp possible from the cams

but top end will be amazing due to the higher degree cams and a custom remap on top would improve this even further
Old 20-07-2009, 11:10 PM
HockeyNomad
Part of the Furniture

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could always try the dastek unichip for your custom map, very capable peice of kit,
Old 21-07-2009, 06:56 AM
Brow
Virgin

Thanks for the quick replies!

Originally Posted by jammerrs
i beleive, from my understanding, looseing the vvt (due to the vernier pulley) the car would loose a little response lower down and torque!?

but vernier pulleys are essential to get the best bhp possible from the cams

but top end will be amazing due to the higher degree cams and a custom remap on top would improve this even further
Total n00b question, but what is the VVT? I have next to no knowledge about cars (apart from driving 1) so sorry if I come across as a bit stupid with these types of questions!

Originally Posted by HockeyNomad
You could always try the dastek unichip for your custom map, very capable peice of kit,
Thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't come across those before so will look into them some more.
Old 21-07-2009, 11:03 AM
AndyCanning
Regular Contributor

i did the usual things first, viper induction kit, miltek cat back with decat and it was just noiser really and a £1k set back. I then got dreamscience for about £450 and the car is soo much better thorughout the rev range

when i had mine rollin roaded when i had it about 6 months, nearly 2 years ago i was at ric woods and it made 168bhp but cant remeber the torque and not many 170s come as that as standard
Old 21-07-2009, 11:44 AM
Brow
Virgin

Originally Posted by AndyCanning
i did the usual things first, viper induction kit, miltek cat back with decat and it was just noiser really and a £1k set back. I then got dreamscience for about £450 and the car is soo much better thorughout the rev range

when i had mine rollin roaded when i had it about 6 months, nearly 2 years ago i was at ric woods and it made 168bhp but cant remeber the torque and not many 170s come as that as standard
Cheers for the reply.

I've heard that Dreamscience don't offer their stratagem multi tune unit for the ST170 anymore, but they do offer a single shot tuning for about £295. If that's the price for a generic map, hadn't I might as well spend an extra £50 and have something custom for the car to get 'best' gains?
Old 22-07-2009, 09:47 PM
northenhunk
bitten by the rs bug

dont forget you will have to buy shims and then get them machined to the right size which is labour intensive if you get the cams
Old 23-07-2009, 12:01 AM
stevierob
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well you want a remap and your on here and who's site is it?? look on evolutionchips.com mate and you will find an installer quite close to you...
you never get the best out of a generic map for obvious reasons so go for a remap mate, miles better.. and yes i'm biased!!

steve
Old 23-07-2009, 03:57 PM
Brow
Virgin

Originally Posted by northenhunk
dont forget you will have to buy shims and then get them machined to the right size which is labour intensive if you get the cams
Like I say, I'm a total n00b for the most part when it comes to car stuff, so as much as I know about the cams is that I saw them for sale in an ad in Fast Ford mag for about £250ish and they advertised about £12BHP increase. Aside from that, I don't know anythign about them nor what's involved to fit them At the minute they're only an idea, but probably 90% sure I'll just stick to a remap.

Originally Posted by stevierob
well you want a remap and your on here and who's site is it?? look on evolutionchips.com mate and you will find an installer quite close to you...
you never get the best out of a generic map for obvious reasons so go for a remap mate, miles better.. and yes i'm biased!!

steve
Thanks for the link.

I remember doing a search on their site before and they don't seem to list anything for the 2.0L ST170, only the 130BHP standard 2.0L. Their nearest dealer to me is Ripley, so I'm going to email them and see what they say.

Thanks again for the info
Old 24-07-2009, 08:34 AM
Sp3no
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Right, basically the ST170 engine is the 2l Zetec but it has had the nuts tuned off it in the factory, this means that it is already at a very high level of tune. This causes problems as it becomes very hard (and expensive) to wring out even more power.
As stated previously unfortunately the ST170 was not as it seemed, most cars as standard are only putting out figures of between 150-160bhp, seen them as low as 145!! so already you have a mountain to climb to get it putting out the power expected. There are a few putting out factory figures but they are few and far between.
On the venier cam issue, you DONT have to lose your VVT, the norm is to fit a vernier to the exhaust cam ONLY. Retarding the timing a wee bit can release between 1-8bhp depending on the engine in question.
With a decent cat back exhaust, filter, and dream science type map i would be happy if the car put out figures close to 170bhp.
I have a mongoose cat back system, K&N Typhoon filter and a ported throttle body. The above might have only gained me 1-2bhp but it has made the car nicer to drive and it picks up allot quicker

Last edited by Sp3no; 24-07-2009 at 08:36 AM.
Old 24-07-2009, 02:15 PM
Brow
Virgin

Originally Posted by Sp3no
Right, basically the ST170 engine is the 2l Zetec but it has had the nuts tuned off it in the factory, this means that it is already at a very high level of tune. This causes problems as it becomes very hard (and expensive) to wring out even more power.
As stated previously unfortunately the ST170 was not as it seemed, most cars as standard are only putting out figures of between 150-160bhp, seen them as low as 145!! so already you have a mountain to climb to get it putting out the power expected. There are a few putting out factory figures but they are few and far between.
On the venier cam issue, you DONT have to lose your VVT, the norm is to fit a vernier to the exhaust cam ONLY. Retarding the timing a wee bit can release between 1-8bhp depending on the engine in question.
With a decent cat back exhaust, filter, and dream science type map i would be happy if the car put out figures close to 170bhp.
I have a mongoose cat back system, K&N Typhoon filter and a ported throttle body. The above might have only gained me 1-2bhp but it has made the car nicer to drive and it picks up allot quicker
Thanks for your informative post.

I think I'm just going to stay with an ECU Remap and forget trying to get the engine work done. I know I'd be lucky to get much more out of 1 of these cars without spending stupid money, but every little helps as they say

I'm just trying to work out whether to try and track down a 2nd hand Stratagem unit and then get Dreamscience to laod it with the ST170s maps, or just go for a single shot Custom remap.

How would a remap work if the battery had to be disconnected, as I hear this resets the ECU?

Thanks.

Craig