Ford Focus RS This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus RS Range.

Step by step guide to fitting hids on a focus

Search this Thread

Old 16-04-2009, 11:21 PM
Mike_SS
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Step by step guide to fitting hids on a focus

My first little write up so please bear with me.

As there didn't seem to be a guide readily available, I thought I would write one up. Hopefully it will help others.

The Kit

Purchased from www.superhids.co.uk and arrived promptly. Plug and play kit and brought the optional double sided tape also.

I've had kits from them before and they are always spot on with very good aftersales service. I chose 4300k as I like brilliant white.

No instructions in the kit, but was all self explantory once laid out in front of me. Can't really go wrong as the plugs will only fit the correct plugs.

Ballasts looked tiny.

The Car

Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec 2005 (pre-facelift).

Tools needed

1. Drill
  2. Holesaw (29mm)
  3. Brake cleaner or something to degrease/clean
  4. Double sided sticky tape (1mm thick) - I got mine with the kit
  5. Cable ties.

Step by step guide

1. Open bonnet

2. Starting on the drivers side, remove the back of the headlamp cover, it just unclips

3. Unplug and unclip the old bulb and remove.

4. Now the cover is removed it is ready to put a hole in. I had a 29mm holesaw piece for the drill that seemed the ideal size. (I'm sure there are other methods also. Think of where you want the hole and drill it with the holesaw. Had the drill on quite a slow speed with hammer action off.

Ideal Size for the supplied grommet:

5. Remove the clip that holds the bulb in and put the bulb wire through and fit bulb. The element thingy should be pointing downwards. Make sure it's in properly.

6. Connect the headlamp plug to the HID wiring - the wiring fits perfectly. The black wire goes to the one with two wires - doesn't matter if you get it wrong, just swap around if it doesn't work

7. Put the wire through the hole in the headlamp cover, securing the grommet in place.

8. Connect the wiring to the ballast. There are 3 plugs.

9. Try it out and make sure it works.

10. Now that you know it works, find somewhere to mount the ballast and clean thoroughly. I used brake cleaner as I had it laying about.

11. Cut some of the double sided tape and stick onto the ballast and then place the ballast in you desired location. Press firmly. The stuff I had supplied with the kit is very strong stuff so once applied correctly it won't go anywhere.

With the benefit of hindsight I could probably have fitted it around the back of where I did, for a hidden install:

12. Re-fit the headlamp cover ensuring no wires get in the way of it sealing and then clip to secure.

13. Cable tie the wiring.

14. Repeat process for passenger side. I fitted the ballast on the side of the battery, under the battery cover so it's all hidden away - forgot to take piccies but will try and take some.

15. Align, if required.

16. ENJOY!

Conclusion

Took about an hour in total to fit. No need to remove the headlamps or anything. It can be a little fiddly to get clips and things in place, especially on the passenger side. Not really much harder than changing bulbs though.

The results are great. Had an MOT the day after and it sailed through. The garage owner was interested to know where I got the lights from so he could buy some for his Volvo!

Have deliberatley been doing some late night driving as I'm loving them.

Hope this guide is helpful to others.
Old 17-04-2009, 02:51 AM
cootsie
Part of the Furniture

Nice write up but you will need to seal the grommet to the headlight. It's not a good seal, if you don't the headlights will mist up with condensation.

If you wanted the ballast hidden you can fit them to the underside of the headlight. Silicon is fine to fix it and it also helps to cushion any vibration.

Last edited by cootsie; 17-04-2009 at 01:34 PM.
Old 17-04-2009, 12:51 PM
Sp3no
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are these not illegal due to the requirment of needing headlamp washers?? Nice wirte up though i did not realise the plug and play kits were so simple. I have Xenon lamps as an option on my focus and i would never go back to normal bulbs on any car in the future
Old 17-04-2009, 03:56 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by Sp3no
Are these not illegal due to the requirment of needing headlamp washers?? Nice wirte up though i did not realise the plug and play kits were so simple. I have Xenon lamps as an option on my focus and i would never go back to normal bulbs on any car in the future

If a beam is present then they will pass an MOT, however if the Plod/VOSA catch you then you are in for a bumming

Look at the thread a few down in this section
Old 19-04-2009, 01:46 PM
Mike_SS
Virgin

Rich, don't be a plonker and turn this into a legality thread (like you keep doing everywhere). It is a fitting guide so keep it on topic.

Will seal them up proper Cootsie if I notice any misting but grommets did seem quite tight.

Lights are great!
Old 19-04-2009, 02:57 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike_SS
Rich, don't be a plonker and turn this into a legality thread (like you keep doing everywhere). It is a fitting guide so keep it on topic.

Will seal them up proper Cootsie if I notice any misting but grommets did seem quite tight.

Lights are great!
Sorry mate but I think you are the plonker for thinking that an aftermarket hid kit is the be all and end all, oh and for going against everyone's advice, and choosing to put the wrong oil in your engine, just because you have it on the shelf in your garage
Old 20-04-2009, 04:59 PM
cootsie
Part of the Furniture

Originally Posted by Mike_SS

Lights are great!

I had them before and they are good. But i sealed both inside and out on the grommet just in case.

I have now changed to ST170 xenon headlights. But they will be illegal i suppose as i don't have the washer jets