Ford Focus RS This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus RS Range.

NEW TURBO ON MY FRS

Search this Thread

Old 28-03-2007 | 09:49 PM
Bodge22
Wanna be whore...

Default NEW TURBO ON MY FRS

As above i've had a new turbo put on my FRS, after the old one went out in a cloud of smoke! I decided to upgrade a little, so i went for a sorted gt25.

Now this is where i start to get a bit confused, i've been told(by the garage who used Essex Turbos for the turbo work) that this could up the power to around 350 bhp. But they are also saying i need an engine re-map which is gonna cost around £800, is this the case if i'm still using the gt 25? And if so will a blue fin do the job? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Old 29-03-2007 | 05:07 PM
rssteve
Advanced PassionFord User

you can get an updated superchips map. Or try DS. I expect you will still see a small increase in power using the standard map you may be able to run a few psi more safely.
Old 30-03-2007 | 06:56 PM
focusrsred
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

You wont get any increase in power without a remap. The ecu and actuator will still limit maximum boost to the original setting, for the original fueling and ignition positions. Depending what modifications have been done to the turbo it may spool up faster, but if the turbo was built for applications wanting higher boost, faster spool up is very unlikely.

To get the most from this modification i would highly recommend a remap from somebody like dreamscience etc.

Dont think bluefin will really give you optimum performance.
Old 30-03-2007 | 10:25 PM
Bodge22
Wanna be whore...

Originally Posted by focusrsred
You wont get any increase in power without a remap. The ecu and actuator will still limit maximum boost to the original setting, for the original fueling and ignition positions. Depending what modifications have been done to the turbo it may spool up faster, but if the turbo was built for applications wanting higher boost, faster spool up is very unlikely.

To get the most from this modification i would highly recommend a remap from somebody like dreamscience etc.

Ive been told that if idon't get the remap done i could blow the engine. Am i just having smoke blown up my arse or is this true?
Old 30-03-2007 | 11:35 PM
bassboy
PassionFord Post Troll

Default Re: NEW TURBO ON MY FRS

Originally Posted by Bodge22
As above i've had a new turbo put on my FRS, after the old one went out in a cloud of smoke! I decided to upgrade a little, so i went for a sorted gt25.

Now this is where i start to get a bit confused, i've been told(by the garage who used Essex Turbos for the turbo work) that this could up the power to around 350 bhp. But they are also saying i need an engine re-map which is gonna cost around £800, is this the case if i'm still using the gt 25? And if so will a blue fin do the job? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
There are alot of variations of the GT25 so all depends on which one u have...ask the supplier for a compressor chart and find out what the efficiency is at 350cfm at what boost level

they are right, whenever u swap a turbo for a non standard version, you WILL require a remap to get the most out of the engine as VE, compressor efficiency, air flow etc etc will ALL change...only way to sort this...well the cheapest option is to load up DreamScience and get it mapped up....Bluefin IMO wont do the trick...Bluefin is an off the shelf map basically where DS is a full on map for YOUR vehicle and its modifications

as for 350hp on your engine...im sure your injectors wont be best pleased lol will be time for some 400cc min jobbies, a full on custom map, port and polish, and a BIG intercooler! and u will have to rev higher as the standard limiter is just short of 6500rpm IIRC

350hp is EASY from a zetec though...i managed that on about 1.2bar boost on my ZT!

bassboy
Old 31-03-2007 | 10:43 AM
rssteve
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by focusrsred

the wheel is bigger so it will flow more air even at the same boost pressure.. The ecu will automatically add more fuel if more air is entering the engine. You do need to have map tho to get the most of it.

your pump and injectors will be good for up to 330bhp and you should considering going air to air or atleast monitor your temps. to get 350 you need to do alot of work on the engine like port polish cams ported surrouns etc.