Ford Focus Diesel This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus Diesel Range.

Focus 1.8 TDDi MK1 Diesel - Diesel Leak around injector and leak-off pipes

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 09:42 AM
forumuser
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Focus 1.8 TDDi MK1 Diesel - Diesel Leak around injector and leak-off pipes

Overall picture of engine

Close up - Leak around injector and leak-off / flexible pipe

Dear members, I don't have much knowledge of cars but like to do whatever I can asDIY if given help and guidance.

Cardetails
Ford Focus 1.8 TDDi
Mileage – 160,000 miles
year - 2001

Problem
  • Delayed / sluggish when cold-starting after fewhours / overnight. Takes around 4-6 seconds of cranking. Been happening for aweek.
  • Mild smell of diesel inside
Observation
  • Opened the hood and noticed dried off oil leakaround second injector from left (See picture). Rest of the injector areas aredry. The leak had kind of dried off probably because vehicle was parkedovernight. No oil drips on drive way when its usually parked.
  • Decided to take for a drive for few miles,opened the hood again and saw fresh leak around same area, which confirms itleaks when the engine is running.
Background
I had experienced smell of diesel inside the car last yeararound same time, no sluggish start though if I can remember. Took the car forservice and mentioned about the problem. Mechanic said there was a leaky pipe whichhas been replaced and charged Ł25 for that bit. I didn’t ask for details. Iremember vaguely the leak was around same area back then.

Question
What are the chances this leak and sluggish start to berelated?
What sort of DIY checked and fix can I try please?

Any help would be well appreciated.

Thanks.