Ford Focus (All Models) This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus Range that doesnt belong in the seperate ST & RS sections..

£330 for Focus alternator - RAC roadside fix. Fair?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 05:27 PM
StevieA
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrush
No, not really. You paid a membership fee, which is the right to call them when you need them, and for them to attend. They might word it as "your membership cost includes your fitting cost" but really it doesn't. Because they can't possibly know what it is you will need fitting later on in the year at the time you pay the membership fee.
I've been a member for 40 years and called them out 3 times. I think you can safely say that I've paid my dues as regards service etc. and that on balance of fees versus service provided, the RAC are way ahead. I don't mind paying, but I do object to paying twice.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:34 PM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 115 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by StevieA
From the RAC website:

"If we replace a part at the roadside to get you going again, the fitting costs are included in your membership, so you only pay for the part itself." (my emphasis).
I agree with the OP here.

It says in black and white that fitting costs are included in the membership fee, not "We will charge double for an alternator if you're on the way to a wedding"

Last edited by GVK.; 01-10-2013 at 05:35 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:55 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

I've been a member for 40 years and called them out 3 times.
And that's their fault how? If you want more value for your money, I suggest you call them out more often. Why not twice a year?

I think you can safely say that I've paid my dues as regards service etc.
No, I don't think you have. You've paid for the right to call them when you need them. Just because I've paid car insurance for years and years and never claimed, should I call them up and demand a hire car for no apparent reason? I mean, I've paid for hire car rental in my premiums over the years, so surely I can have it?

and that on balance of fees versus service provided, the RAC are way ahead. I don't mind paying, but I do object to paying twice.
Then all I can suggest is you leave the RAC, and when you next break down, you can make your own way home, then go to the motor factors, buy the part yourself, and pay someone to fit it. Then you've only paid once.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:57 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by GVK.

It says in black and white that fitting costs are included in the membership fee, not "We will charge double for an alternator if you're on the way to a wedding"

What he was on the way for is irregardless. Unless of course, the RAC man said to the OP, at the time of the fact, that the alternator will cost £330 because he's on the way to a wedding. Because if he didn't, it's neither here nor there.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:28 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 258 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by GVK.

He was not charged a fitting charge, and he was not charged more because of where he was going.

He was quoted a price for repair, and he accepted that price.

Why is that so difficult for people to understand ?

Just because their price is different from another seller doesnt make it wrong. He was perfectly free to shop around for the part, or take a different option. He didnt.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:35 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

they charged him more for the alternator than someone else could have got it for at a different time

the crux of the matter is did they charge him more because of what it was or do they charge more for everyone who has a breakdown that can be fixed at the side of the road?

it's a naughty way to make money, but if it's the way they work then you can either join them again next year or chose one of their rivals

the fact that it saved you bother is why you take out breakdown recovery in the first place so shouldn't be a factor in the arguement
Old 01-10-2013, 06:46 PM
:hEnNiKeR:
Bam Bam Bam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Big lols at some of the replys here.

Are you not entitled to a receipt of some description, as you will have a warrantee for the new alternator surely and to add to your cars (service) history.

It's clear you have been charged a top end price.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:24 PM
GVK.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 115 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrush
What he was on the way for is irregardless. Unless of course, the RAC man said to the OP, at the time of the fact, that the alternator will cost £330 because he's on the way to a wedding. Because if he didn't, it's neither here nor there.
My reply was rather tongue in cheek, I know it's not relevant WHERE he was going, but it's bloody obvious he was overcharged (no pun intended!) for the alternator, he could have refused the repair, of course!
Old 01-10-2013, 09:59 PM
B19 JUB
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

im an rac patrol and see all points people have raised on here.prices aren't bumped up to include fitting fee as A) its part of the membership to repair the vehicle and B) we get paid regardless if repair includes parts or not.

that does seem a little high price for a focus alternator,ive fitted a fair few at roadside and don't recall being that high.
at the end of the day you got on your way to your destination and an important occasion wasn't missed.
also as people have said there was no need to inconvience you by the vehicle going to a garage for repair which would prob incur diagnostic charges and replacement charges which although the alternator may have been cheaper would of been similar in price after additional fees were put on

main thing as I said is you were sorted and could carry on your journey.glad we could of been of assistance
Old 01-10-2013, 10:01 PM
B19 JUB
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
He was not charged a fitting charge, and he was not charged more because of where he was going.

He was quoted a price for repair, and he accepted that price.

Why is that so difficult for people to understand ?

Just because their price is different from another seller doesnt make it wrong. He was perfectly free to shop around for the part, or take a different option. He didnt.