Ford Focus (All Models) This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Focus Range that doesnt belong in the seperate ST & RS sections..

OBD Error code - doesnt make sense

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 02:06 PM
Leigh Bikechatter
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBD Error code - doesnt make sense

Hi guys, I joined here a few weeks ago as I have been having issues with my Duratec engined 1.8 petrol Focus, namely it was throwing a code and MIL. I have a friend (who lives a fair distance away) who is a technician and put a reader on - DTC P2008 - He couldnt find info on this so called his mate who is a master tech over at Ford, his diagnosis was the inlet manifold was duff and just replace.

I got hold of a replacement unit but off a really low mileage Fiesta ST150 having been told it is the same, will work fine but is slightly different to the Focus one to cope with higher HP and load.

Anyway, long story short, I fitted it fine, got the car running and it feels less lumpy than it used to but still shudders or feels lumpy occasionally on idle and then if you hit the accelerator.

I have my own OBD reader and use ScanMaster to take readings, the wierd thing is that P2008 is still showing as current, on another software I got P0100 instead but have been unable to replicate this again.

So, my question:

I find it highly unlikely that I have two inlet manifolds that are dodgy, especially as my own car is low mileage (45k) and the replacement even less so. Having had the original manifold off I checked the butterflies all over and they feel smooth and tight.

It is my belief that there is something else at fault or happening here but cannot think where to start. I have seen little information on anything to do with this fault other than perhaps swirl plate solenoids being faulty but with the new manifold there is a single solenoid built on rather than two on the focus - the focus solenoids control the butterflies as well which are not present on the Fiesta version.

This helps me with my view that at least the code is not being created by a fault on the butterflies or their control, something I believe used to be an issue with older ford manifolds

I have included some screenshots from the diagnostic, not sure if any are likely to help but any genuine Ford experts that can help at least point me down a path will be appreciated.

https://skydrive.live.com/#cid=FFBA3...0B57414E40!174
Idle to rev, allow revs to drop, rev again and then drop again, finally steady acceleration - shows inlet manifold pressure vs revs

https://skydrive.live.com/#cid=FFBA3...0B57414E40!173
Not sure what any of this means but as it shows a fail included it.

https://skydrive.live.com/#cid=FFBA3...0B57414E40!172
Showing the P2008 code and any information included
Old 01-07-2012, 04:55 PM
oldford
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

P2008 is IMRC Open Circuit. Have you checked the wiring?
Old 01-07-2012, 07:05 PM
Leigh Bikechatter
Virgin

Oldford, the problem is knowing where to begin with it, when it was checked originally the only things electrically controlled on the inlet manifold (the swirl solenoids) were both working from what i can remember.

Where would you suggest looking first?
Old 01-07-2012, 07:15 PM
Leigh Bikechatter
Virgin

Just to add to this, are the two solenoids monitored by the engine? If so are they monitored using the power cable to the solenoid as I have taken both the originals off the power as they are unused on the replacement manifold.

I have used one of the connectors by stripping back the harness a little to free up the cable in order to power the solenoid that is built on to the ST manifold so realistically one of the cables is connected still but if they are monitored somehow I could try stripping back the harness on the other connector to make it reach.

Or am I missing how these things are picked up by the engine?
Old 01-07-2012, 07:30 PM
botters
competant bodger

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

if you have left anything disconnected it will flag up a fault code and possibly put the car into limp mode, you should only replace parts like for like