General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Cable Shifter IB5 and Zetec SE

Search this Thread

Old 26-09-2017, 01:00 PM
MPS-Ben
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cable Shifter IB5 and Zetec SE

Hi all,

I'm currently in the process of building a mk 5 Fiesta Zetec S Track Car / Demo Car for my Motorsport Electronics Business - Once I have a little more progress I will start a build thread, but it's going to be built for a combination of tin top racing and maybe something like the pocket rocket class of Time Attack too, but on a budget.

I'm wanting to run the seat as far back and as low down as I can but then I run into problems of not being able to reach away to 1st gear if I use the standard mechanical linkage with the standard IB5 gearbox. If I can get a cable linkage instead then I'm thinking that this might be the easiest and cheapest solution to my problem.

From my research I've noticed that the mk6 Fiesta Cup racers, built by Ford Motorsport, run a 1.6 Sigma / Zetec SE engine (like mine) coupled to an IB5 gearbox but with a cable linkage and a racey looking billet shifter.

I'm struggling to find much online about this cable operated linkage so thought that I would try here instead.
Is the cable linkage IB5 gearbox a straight swap into a mk5 fiesta?
Is just the linkage adapter/mechanism a straight swap onto my standard mk5 box?
What Ford models run the cable linkage IB5?
Old 26-09-2017, 02:14 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1,031 Likes on 944 Posts

I would have thought it would work as most cable shifters seem to just work as the action needed is roughly the same, you would just need to check the cable ends are the same or get a company to swap them over or make an adapter.
Old 28-09-2017, 11:48 AM
MPS-Ben
Virgin

Yeh thanks for that, but I want to do it myself rather than pay someone to fix it.

A bit more research and apparently its the Focus gearboxes that are the cable shift variant? Can anyone confirm this?

If I were to buy a gearbox from a mk1 Focus 1.6 zetec se variant - will I be able to keep the case with its cable shifter, transfer the preferable gear clusters / ratios and diff from a Puma into it?
That's presuming that everything on the outside will mate up hunky-dory in my mk5 Fiesta - i.e starter motor, clutch line attachment, gearbox mount and driveshafts etc.?
Old 28-09-2017, 07:03 PM
Fartblood
Erect Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

IB5 gearbox on my Fusion 1.6 is a cable change.
Old 28-09-2017, 07:55 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

later IB5's are all cable shift, mk6 fez focus etc

easy to find one really. If you dont find ratios you wamt then swap ones you have into a later cable casing
Old 28-09-2017, 08:19 PM
MPS-Ben
Virgin

Thanks Warren, and they're all the same with regards to mounting points for starter/gearbox mounts/driveshafts/starter/clutch lines etc.?
Old 03-01-2018, 09:00 PM
MPS-Ben
Virgin

Just thought I would bump this up with regards to my last question above