Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

rear caliper hand brake lever

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 03:32 PM
BRAMMER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default rear caliper hand brake lever

In the process of rebuilding my rears and looking at the handbrake lever with the small bearing rod goes i can't work out if it's worn or as it should be

In the picture you can see where it's tapered then it drops down a little more

If anyone has rebuilt theirs did they notice the same thing?

Old 02-06-2012, 03:51 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Received 435 Likes on 393 Posts

cant say i payed much notice but if it moves the piston as it should i wouldent worry! mine were badly pitted too so i filled the pits with chemical metal!
Old 02-06-2012, 04:32 PM
BRAMMER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I was hoping you replied mate as i noticed you have done yours before

I dummy built the caliper apart from the piston to make sure everything went together fine but when moving the lever it didn't move the threaded shaft - i wasn't sure if the caliper had to be completely built with piston to test that or not

Also what grease did you use? i was going to use Castrol rubber grease but thought i'd ask on here if their is anything else (should have got it before bank holiday which is why i'm looking for an alternative)

Cheers

Chris
Old 02-06-2012, 04:36 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Received 435 Likes on 393 Posts

I just used the normal daf spec wheel bearing grease we have in the work shop. And year maybe you have to put it all togther as it screws up the thread! Have you put the cir clips backin yet I did it with a socket and a g clamp the hole thing was easy
Old 02-06-2012, 06:04 PM
BRAMMER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I had a right good look at everything before i even dummy fitted it all - i changed all the seals ready in the main body of the caliper & piston - test fitted the cage that goes over the spring to make sure it will seat correctly which it wasn't so straightened the legs and fitted using my Halfords valve spring compressor with the small head on it and bent a mini pick to push the rear of the circlip down whilst the clip is compressed.

Fitting the hand break lever, bearing peg, spindle, washer, spring and clip takes no longer than 2 minutes but i tried the piston with a winding tool and it was very tight to the point i couldn't turn anymore and it still had about 2.5 full revolutions to do so was hoping you were going to say smear grease over the O ring and it goes in easy

If i can get that piston in easy then it's really a 5 minute job

Forgot to ask how much grease did you use around the hand brake shaft? and did you put grease anywhere else?

Last edited by BRAMMER; 02-06-2012 at 06:07 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:44 PM
simonmcf
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nightmare to get the circlips back in, once it's all clean and put back it should be fine, check your seals, moisture can also be absorbed by brake fluid