Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Xr4i Race Set up (rear beam help)

Search this Thread

Old 26-04-2012, 11:19 PM
Dom-hkl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Xr4i Race Set up (rear beam help)

i have a xr4i i that i am racing this year had my first go out the other day but it has way to much body movement the car has had a few alterations that were done before i go her so i do not know that much about them
here is what i do know
she has a granda cosworth anti roll bar
brakes etc
and diff which i also think she has the granda cosworth rear beam i heard that the cosworth rear beams had a differant angling to them as they were lower as standard was this also so on the granda ?
and she has got what is supposed to be sports springs on which have also lowerd the car but it has given the rear wheels way to much camber and as soon as there is a damp spot it involves complete opposite lock
after hours of reaserch i have decided on avo coilovers up front with 550lbs springs, but i do not know what to do at the back should i also go for coilovers here what are the advantages of this? or should i stick to dampers and springs and up the lbs of the rear springs massivly
thanks.
Old 27-04-2012, 12:45 AM
robrs2
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I run 600lb front and 450lb rear with the granada rear ARB and Dohc front.
Only used for trackdays. But spring rates are only one part. If you can't alter the geometry then your stuck with what ford built it as and if its lowered then it worse.
The sierra rear beam toes in and negative cambers. if you keep it low then you need camber shims or an adjustable beam
Old 27-04-2012, 11:33 AM
Dom-hkl

Yer that sounds like what I would want I was told that I would need 900lbs rest springs as the wheel gets so much leverage on it but with it being that stiff
I had images of the back end just skipping around a corners and well price wise I
Am assuming that the shims are
The cheapest but what is the best and what would you recomed having used your car for racing the car will only be on the track aswell it will be motd tax and insured for its class but do very few road miles

Originally Posted by robrs2
I run 600lb front and 450lb rear with the granada rear ARB and Dohc front.
Only used for trackdays. But spring rates are only one part. If you can't alter the geometry then your stuck with what ford built it as and if its lowered then it worse.
The sierra rear beam toes in and negative cambers. if you keep it low then you need camber shims or an adjustable beam
Old 27-04-2012, 09:03 PM
robrs2

Lots of threads on the subject. You'll need to raise your rear suspension to get the correct rear camber/ toe

https://passionford.com/forum/ford-s...-cosworth.html
Old 01-05-2012, 03:45 PM
Dom-hkl

okay thanks will have a look would you recomend coilovers then as the hight is alot more easly adjustable
Originally Posted by robrs2
Lots of threads on the subject. You'll need to raise your rear suspension to get the correct rear camber/ toe

https://passionford.com/forum/ford-s...-cosworth.html
Old 01-05-2012, 08:48 PM
robrs2

Adjusting the height effects the camber and toe so it's no as easy as it sounds.
Coilovers are fine for the road but high poundage springs are not. So if you want a track setup then you have to put up with the rough ride.