Fiesta This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Fiesta (Non RS / ST) Range of cars.

Fiesta 1.25 mk4 flat and hesitating

Search this Thread

Old 31-07-2011, 12:51 PM
columbus autos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Fiesta 1.25 mk4 flat and hesitating

Right had a disaster with this the other day general service ran fine new plugs,oil filter air filter fuel filter etc.
Back again for timing belt and front brakes brakes fine timing tits up!
Apprentice didn't hold the inlet cam with a spanner when undoing inlet cam pulley so snapped the cam at the locking end.
Straight to the scrap yard and got a new cam fitted it and the engine starts and idles fine will drive but hesitates and has a flat high end.
So i went to recheck timing found he bent the locking bar at the same time as braking the cam. So borrowed another tool from a mates garage.
Timing was out slightly on inlet adjusted checked and test driven and seemed fine. Now its back to playing up and i haven't got the replacement for my timing tools and my mate is away from the area for the weekend.
I turned engine to roughly tdc with the screw driver method and everthing seems visually ok can't confirm fully with out a new locking kit.
So i thought maybe leads have broken down being moved about so much lately. New leads no change tried a spare coil no change, unplugged air flow meter no better, No fault codes stored indications in live data.
Noticed exhaust wadding hanging out of the back box and so pulled some out to make sure exhaust isn't restricting no change.
My only options now are timing which i can't do till my new tool arrives or my mate gets back or a break down in either injector wiring or cam/crank sensors which i would have thought would generate codes.
Have i missed something here apart from timing?
My apprentice is going to have his arms ripped off and i will personally beat him to death with the soggy end on monday morning.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:47 PM
columbus autos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got to the bottom of this now timing was ok but no1 plug had stripped the thread an was experiencing blow by.
Tried fixing with a thread insert but that didn't seal properly leaving the compression two bar lower than all the other cylinders and still flat and lumpy.
New head needed now to say i'm not happy is an understatement and the customer must be furious being with out a car.
I'm furious being now light for a head pressure test and skim head set and bolts and all the labour. bad times for such a schoolboy error. Must keep a closer eye on things!