Fiesta RS1800/RS Turbo This forum is for discussion of all things pertaining to the Ford Fiesta RS Range of cars.

The engins

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008 | 03:44 PM
Smiffy2k8

Default The engins

Right ppl just out of cureosity what are d differences in all of the engines.?
cvh, xr2i, zectec nd so on
Old 07-02-2008 | 11:13 PM
jayRS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

right
the noral CVH is just that a CVH, to loomk at them EFI or not they look the same and use a lot of the same things, but some things do change with different specs.
bore size depends on CC, but that aside, the carb CVH has a different head, but, the only differance between a carb cvh head and EFI cvh head is the fact the head has cut outs for the injectors on the EFI.
the differenace between the xr2i engine and the FRST engine, is the crank and pistons, they differ on the FRST but are the same as whats fitted in the ERST, the head is 100% the same as xr2i.

the differance in blocks is a couple of things, for EFI it has a hold in it for a sensor, the crank position sensor, and the turbo blocks have a pipe/hole for oil return from the turbo, but these are put in after the block has been cast so all CVH blocks are the same.

the zetec is a 16valve engine cvh is 8 valve, thats means 16 valve has 2 inlet and 2 exhasut valves per bore.
now im not gunna get into the difference beween zetec and zetec as fords have made many changes to the zetec over the years and although from the out side they look the same in most cases internaly they deffer a fair bit, but the early one did have parts that were the same on a 1.6 as they were on the 2 litre, but for example, you could get a crank from a eraly 2 litre and put it in a late 2 litre as it wouldnt have it, the stroke differs etc etc, so as i say wont getinto it or ill be here for years expalining.

as for other engines, well, again ill be here for ages, but ford have many types of engine, but for the higher spec cars it was cvh, zetec or cosworth lumps fitted, but ive explained more about cvh as that was manily the engine fitted to ford performance cars that matter, i.e, xr2, xr2i, xr3, rs turbo etc