Concours d'élégance. The section dedicated to those who like things pristione and shiny. Buftys in other words.

Removing Etching From Glass???

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 12:40 PM
Paul_Painter
Part of the Furniture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Etching From Glass???

Hello Chaps

Not sure if this is the right section to ask this question but I know you guys can work wonders with various chemicals and equipment!

I currently have some of my glass etched with the last digits of the VIN and some of it is not. I assume that the 2 windows have been smashed and replaced over the years.

Anyway, I would like to know if it is possible to polish the etching or if this truely a permanent feature???

Any comments would be appreciated

Cheers

Paul
Old 01-02-2011, 12:52 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

The repair resin you use for stonechips might be worth a go?
Its only some missing glass after all, so if you can fill it back in then it might dissapear like a chip does.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:48 PM
Retro Al
RWD IS KING

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only thing that would have any chance of working is cerium oxide http://www.planetpolish.com/index.ph...&products_id=4
Old 01-02-2011, 05:26 PM
ajamesc
cossie fan (unluckerly)

Received 435 Likes on 393 Posts

u carnt do it when i worked at autoglass they did etching and u had to get someone to double check before u did it lol i was there when they did it with sand blasting and with etching gel if it was done wronge the only way round it was a new bit of glass u can try polishing it out but it just looks more of an eye sore!
Old 01-02-2011, 09:35 PM
dangerousbrian
Advanced PassionFord User

i polished some etching out after someone had made a balls up of it a few year ago..i used jewellers rouge, a bit glass cleaner and a small polshing head on a drill..the etching was quite deep so after polishing it there was a small 'gold fish bowl' effect in the glass but no etch..depends how deep the etching is as to what finish you would get..but either way it will look crap especially if it on a concours car
Old 20-04-2011, 01:27 PM
AstoN_B
An eye for detail...

if its just a case of two windows missing the etch then i'd get those two done so at least its uniform all round.

it doesnt bother me one bit on my daily used show car as the etching is small and virtually invisible, even headlights are done.