Computers, Consoles and I.T. Post all computer related chat in here for our I.T techies to help with. Please be aware that any discussions related to piracy will be removed and render the member liable to a possible ban. Piracy renders PassionFord Admin liable for prosecution, as well as its members.

uTorrent, routers, firewalls and IP addresses! Help me!

Search this Thread

Old 28-10-2007, 05:42 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts
Default uTorrent, routers, firewalls and IP addresses! Help me!

Right, up till now I've not had a problem using uTorrent (mods, just in case - uTorrent is a simply a software programme and isn't illegal to use ) and my set up is as follows;

Virgin Cable Broadband (2meg) using their modem which connects via ethernet cable to;
Freecom FSG Gateway (NAS) which is also a router and connects to PC using ethernet cable

Right, so the problem is now that uTorrent is shoing a red "!" in the connection box telling me there is no incoming connections cos a router or firewall is blocking it.

I have all firewalls disabled...

uTorrent has a button you click to test if the port you specified is open properly and this keeps coming back as an ERROR saying it isn't...

My routers IP is 192.168.1.1

In my Network Connections it tells me the PC network connection is 192.168.224

This is the IP I openend up a port for and has worked fine till now...

So I went on Google and looked up an IP finder website and was told my IP is actuall 82.9.112.177

Odd I thought but oh well.... so I created a port for that IP address in my router and ran the diagnostic in uTorrent again - to be told it still isn't open

WTF? I have ports open now for three different IP's, using three different port numbers, and still can't get it to go back to a green tick on the connection box.... Files are still coming down but slowly, highest I saw was 90odd kb/s, nowhere near it's usual of 200-250kb/s

WTF?
Old 28-10-2007, 09:30 PM
Alex_86
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hehe

ok 82.9.112.177 that is your WAN address
192.168.1xxxx is your LAN adress

the difference is

your Wan address, is the address the hole world see you as.. lets say its like your phone number

the other anddress 192.168.1.xxx is you local area address, only the persons in your LAN could see this address (could be many different, let us just forget that)

you could have as many computers you want behind the router,
192.168.1.xxx addresses

but they would all bee shown as 82.9.112.177 to the world
did your understand it so far?

so the utorrent

hit ctrl+p
then select connections to the left

click on the random port button

did this solve it?
Old 29-10-2007, 08:00 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

Ahhhh... I understand the bits about IP's now

The Random Port option doesn't help no

BUT!

I think I solved it

I reset my router, cleared all the port's I opened for the IP's I entered, then opened just one port for the 192.168.1xxxx IP of my local machine, ran a torrent and it went green Without PeerGuardian it was running at 200+, with PeerGuardian it ran at 115-150