Cars for Sale Register for a Gold Membership to sell your car here!

*SOLD* Fiesta XR2 MKII Stock Hatch Race Car or Track/Rally?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 08:40 PM
TwoCossieBob
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *SOLD* Fiesta XR2 MKII Stock Hatch Race Car or Track/Rally?

Ford Fiesta XR2 MKII 1600cc Stock Hatch Race Car.

This car has been used by me for about four years on and off in the 750 Motor Club Stock Hatch race series which puts various small hacthbacks up against each other. The racing is low cost, very close and a great way to get into circuit racing.

This car is standard apart from the items mentioned later in this auction listing as this is a requirement of the Stock Hatch rules.

This car could also be used in many other national race series such as Ford Saloons, Blue Oval Sports, XR Championship and many local or regional championships. It could also be used as a basis for a rally car, autotest car, hillclimb car or just for endless fun as a track car.

I have the V5 for this car and its included in the sale. The car is SORN at the moment and has no MOT as its not required for Stock Hatch racing. I see no reason why it would not pass an MOT if you needed to drive it on the road. It is fitted with tarmac race springs so it would be a bit harsh to drive on the road very far.

Overall Condition

This car is in very good condition indeed for its age and occupation! It has none of the rust that usually plagues this model of car and all the panels are very straight as well. Some people have even asked me why I used such a tidy example as a donor for a race car? Please remember though it is a race car so don't expect a concourse car that has just been polished on Sundays. It's orange inside and out and the paintwork is still bright with only a few light usage marks.

Race Parts Fitted

OMP 6 point bolt in cage with door bars, Momo Corsa seat, FIA approved, Momo Steering Wheel, Lifeline Zero 2000 plumbed in extinguisher system expires 2011, New SRS 6 point harness expires 2014, Additional water and oil gauges, Ashley competition exhaust, Aluminium 20 litre fuel tank, Filter King antisurge fuel filter, Electric fuel pump, K&N air filter, DTF Weber carburettor (the one to have!), Oil catch tank, Leda camber adjustable front suspension (very expensive!), Koni rear suspension, 650lb rear and 300lb front springs, Yokohama A048 tyres.

The suspension cost over £1200.

The other parts add up to around £2000

Engine Work

Complete engine rebuild some 5 races a go with the following new parts...

Pistons, Rings, Block rebore, Main bearings, Big end bearings, ARP big end bolts, Oil pump, Water pump, Cam belt, Camshaft, Camshaft followers, Valves, Spark plugs and a complete clutch.

The engine work and rolling road proving of the setup and power runs cost around £3000.

Please do not confuse this car with a road car that has just had a cage and race seat fitted! It has taken many hours and several thousand pounds over a four year period to get this car as it is today. You cannot just take a road going car off the street and expect it to be competitive in any race series, even something like Stock Hatch which is as close to standard as you can get. This is also not the type of very tired car you sometimes see on Ebay that has been around for several years with no money spent on it.

It does now have a problem with its cylinder head. The head gasket has failed between cylinders one and two (should have used an RS Turbo one!). This has caused a hot spot and part of the cylinder head has been eroded away. The head could be repaired by welding it up and then skimming it back flat or of course you could use a replacement one. The current head does however have all new valves that are properly bedded in so I would repair this one if it was me doing it. There is also a small mark in the bore of number two cylinder but I have checked it and it's above the point where the compression ring on the piston comes to so it will not effect the engines performance. Its just me pointing this out to a potential buyer.

Potentially it could be repaired very cheaply if you did the work yourself, even at a sensibly priced garage it would not cost too much to fix.

I have decided not to fix it myself as i have just moved into a flat and don't have the large garage I used to have. I was thinking of moving up a class and driving something different next year so now the head gasket failure has helped me make up my mind.

I could possibly deliver this car for you if you covered the return cost of my petrol. Please bear in mind my car does not do many mpg when towing a trailer. If you were considering asking me to deliver it then please contact me in advance of the auction end to get a quote that we can both agree on.

If you have any questions then feel free to txt or call me on 07770-225671. You can email me on bobtilling@hotmail.com to request more pictures.

Last edited by TwoCossieBob; 03-09-2009 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Sold