View Single Post
Old 14-06-2018, 07:44 PM
Russ6334
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sierra cosworth oil consumption

Hi all

after years of wanting one I finally got a cossie, 4x4, 69k miles ans very good condition

just working through some issues, I fully serviced it today, I drove it back to Plymouth from Hull and some short trips and have done 400 miles, it’s never missed a beat but when I checked the dipstick after the 400 miles barely over a tank of fuel the dipstick barely showed any oil. It was toppers when I left hull!

i drained the oil out and only had 1800ml in the sump and filter!

All 3 forward plugs are brown but dry the rear one is slightly wet but nothing compared to my Norton commando!

it doesn’t smoke oil but does spit soot out of the exhaust, I got a napkin and held it up to the exhaust for 10 seconds and it had spatterings all over it though it’s soot not oil.

it does chuff loads of misty oil out of the uprated oil breather which then gets sucked back into the cabin! But other than that can’t see any issues

i read they drink oil and that ford say a pint every 600 miles somewhere on a forum but 2+ litres in 400 miles???? That’s excessive!

As I say plugs are dry bar one and doesn’t have oily exhaust could it just be breathing out of the breather?

also worth noting no great amount of oil underneath the engine and none on garage floor.

will do a compression test this weekend

russ This is all that came out after 400 miles
Noticed this after revving it a bit it’s all soot powder no oil
Again just soot that wipes off