View Single Post
Old 12-10-2017, 10:47 PM
Richiezetecse
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 focus 1.6 zetec se tappy noise

I have a 2003 ford focus with 105xxx miles, it has the 1.6 zetec se engine.
i bought it recently off a guy who stated in the add the buckets needed doing as the car had a very audable tap diesel-ish, so i bought it as it drove ok even with the noise slightly underpowered no faults on diagnostics, seeing as im slightly better than your aveage weekend mechanic (at times) i figured i could fix it! When reved the noise gets a bit faster when driven hard the noise almost sounds like a squeal.

but anyway ive measures all the gaps so here they are cyc1 ex .30mm .30mmCyc1 in .15mm .20mmCyc2 ex .35mm .35mmCyc2 in .25mm .23mmCyc3 ex .35mm .35mmCyc3 in .23mm .20mmCyc4 ex .35mm .38mmCyc4 in .23mm .18mmSome are a little out of spec but i dont think they would produce the noise im hearing? Never dis this before so i hope they are accurate. Seems like to be coming from the belt side cyc 1 area. I think the timing might be out, belt was done according to cam cover at 56,xxx miles about 6 years ago, plugs were fouled on removal so its using some oil but it was over filled by 1 or 1.5 liters. Plug holes had oil 3/4 up the plug and was pushin oil out the pcv through the air box. So anyway i ordered the timing tools but which pin is 303-748 as there will be 3 in the box? ive it ripped up and ready ive a flat bar holding the cams. The crank pulley is off and rest of cover im aware of the floating crank setup so i wont turn anything until tool arrives i think thats about it anyway. Just lookin for advise and other causes solutions to my tapping knock noise.

Any input appricated