Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

03 focus 1.6 zetec se tappy noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 10:47 PM
Richiezetecse
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 focus 1.6 zetec se tappy noise

I have a 2003 ford focus with 105xxx miles, it has the 1.6 zetec se engine.
i bought it recently off a guy who stated in the add the buckets needed doing as the car had a very audable tap diesel-ish, so i bought it as it drove ok even with the noise slightly underpowered no faults on diagnostics, seeing as im slightly better than your aveage weekend mechanic (at times) i figured i could fix it! When reved the noise gets a bit faster when driven hard the noise almost sounds like a squeal.

but anyway ive measures all the gaps so here they are cyc1 ex .30mm .30mmCyc1 in .15mm .20mmCyc2 ex .35mm .35mmCyc2 in .25mm .23mmCyc3 ex .35mm .35mmCyc3 in .23mm .20mmCyc4 ex .35mm .38mmCyc4 in .23mm .18mmSome are a little out of spec but i dont think they would produce the noise im hearing? Never dis this before so i hope they are accurate. Seems like to be coming from the belt side cyc 1 area. I think the timing might be out, belt was done according to cam cover at 56,xxx miles about 6 years ago, plugs were fouled on removal so its using some oil but it was over filled by 1 or 1.5 liters. Plug holes had oil 3/4 up the plug and was pushin oil out the pcv through the air box. So anyway i ordered the timing tools but which pin is 303-748 as there will be 3 in the box? ive it ripped up and ready ive a flat bar holding the cams. The crank pulley is off and rest of cover im aware of the floating crank setup so i wont turn anything until tool arrives i think thats about it anyway. Just lookin for advise and other causes solutions to my tapping knock noise.

Any input appricated
Old 13-10-2017, 10:47 PM
H3lsing
ffoc.co.uk

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts

The tappets are hydraulic and not adjustable, so I was informed when I brought mine in to get her looked at.

The main cause of the tappety noise will be most likely be down to Oil viscosity. When it's cold the oil will be thicker, until it heats up becoming more fluid. Thus the engine having less work to do when the oil is circulating at the correct temperature.

I would go as far as giving the car a good service replacing all the fluids and spark plugs, leads, filters, etc.

Last edited by H3lsing; 13-10-2017 at 10:48 PM.
Old 13-10-2017, 11:25 PM
Turbo Zetec
Engine Machinist

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by H3lsing
The tappets are hydraulic and not adjustable, so I was informed when I brought mine in to get her looked at.
all Zetec SE engines use mechanical type lifters. the earlier engines had proper shims but the later ones are solid buckets.

I agree that the clearances given are good enough and shouldn't cause any tapping noises.
Old 14-10-2017, 07:50 AM
Fartblood
Erect Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Small ends?
Old 14-10-2017, 12:43 PM
Richiezetecse
Virgin

I ran a can of engine flush through it as i suspected oil was in there much to long and i filled up with 5w30 and new filter no change in sound although the oil is so clear now i can bearly see it on the dipstick! I think its the timing causing det but its there at idle sound dieselish, i might buy a comprssion tester next if the retiming doesnt help, i had a small end gone once in a mazda 323 it sounded similar but much worse when revved so im unsure, previous owner stated its been making this noise 1.5 to two years and has never gotten louder but is annoying
Old 18-10-2017, 06:43 PM
Richiezetecse
Virgin

Update number 1
Right my timing pins came with flat bar and tensioner pin, from what i could gather i was to use the slightly fatter timing pin on the crankshaft, has thread going half ways down it. So i did and the bar wouldnt fit so i adjusted the cam timing and all the rest checked it and reassembled, started the car and it was ticky for a few seconds then it was quiet as a mouse the noise was gone to my sheer delight. Then i switched off the car started to tidy up then i started the car again and the noise was back i could have burnt the car. So i checked the timing again and it was all correct. Some body has to know what is wrong?? My car revs does something similar to this guys in the youtube link.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MVsmudQq2V0

Theres only a few mm in the difference in the pins lenght but could this cause my problem? I would disconnect the battery but iv no radio code for it either.
Old 19-10-2017, 08:54 AM
Rowe
Skint

Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

so the noise goes when its running? you're just getting it when first starting?
Old 19-10-2017, 12:01 PM
Richiezetecse
Virgin

the noise was present hot or cold privious with changing the oil and filter no different, after resetting the timing was the first time the noise was gone for any period of time
Old 20-10-2017, 07:24 PM
Richiezetecse
Virgin

so i put the car together again today and with new spark plugs and the noise was still there but it faded away on idle completly for ages until i drove the car a bit nd then it came back 😅 i plugged my diagnostics in and lookd at live data at 2000 ish rpm my spark advace from ecu is bouncing all over the place?? only seems too do it there though so i poked around and found a cracked colloapsed vacuum pipe that is a t shap in the middle of the intake manifold, could this be caysing my noise and timing advace from knock due to unmetered air in cyc 1 that said ive no maf lol
Old 21-10-2017, 01:26 PM
Richiezetecse
Virgin

so another update if anyone is watching, i fixed the vacuum leak at the pcv, started the car rattle was there but faint, loads of white smoke but not caused by coolant its at the maximum, car at standstill will not hold rpm between 2000 and 3000 rpm if i just stab the throttle it reve up freely. from 3000 rpm on the rattle is not there at stand still. it is there up to about 4-5000 rpm and dissapears after that.
under load its there but sound different. tried un plugging the iacv but the car ran like a pig. there still seems to b a vacuum leak someware in the fpr throttle body area. if i disconnect the vac pipe to the fuel pressure reg it makes no difference should it? iv also put injector cleaner into the fuel
Old 01-08-2021, 03:44 PM
Ford666
Virgin

Default Zetec se 2003 nightmare...

Hi, I have the same issue with my ford focus (FYDB Zetec SE 2003) boucing revs and spark advance as on video with was attached in previouse email.
Do you have find solution? I had try few times by myself to correct timming with crankshaft pin (i try every type of pin in attached standard locking key kit) and also with detecting TDC of piston by manual, replaced MAP, knock sensor, camshaft sensor, coil pack, spark plug etc. and still have the same symptons. I have also notice knocking detonationa on lower octan fuel (95 octan in Europe), lose power etc.
This issue is very flustrating and i want to figure out what happen and why some zetec engine can run normal and others have problem like this. Maybe it something wrong with proper timming method or ecu?... surfing on the internet i notice only that all thi sympthons have zetec`s from 2002-2004.
I will glad if you share tips if you solved this problem, thank you.
Old 01-08-2021, 04:23 PM
Ford666
Virgin

Default Zetec se 2003 nightmare...

Hi, did you solved this problem? I have the same symptons. Revs and timming spark advance boucing as on the video from previouse post + i noticeable knocking detonation on lower octan fuel (95 octan in Europe). I had tryed correct timming a few times in diffrent variants, first i try to align camshafts to two types of crankshaft locking pin and second i finding TDC of the piston number 1 by manual. I had replaced also MAP, coil pack, spark plugs, leads, knock sensor camshaft position sensor but any differenc. This problem is flustrating becouse it hard to find solution what made me more interested in. I notice that symptons causes only 2002-2004 ford zetec se engine, but why someone could working without this issue. I still think about wrong timming belt setting, though that i had do this few time.
Old 01-08-2021, 05:58 PM
Richiezetecse
Virgin

hey mate, after trying just about everything, retiming engine, measuring tappits, etc i bought i replacement engine for €80 fitted it. car was like new afterward.

i took the head off old engine and two clinders were very worn, pistons had huge amount of free play in the bore. have videos some where. two other pistons tight in bore no slop.
Old 01-08-2021, 06:26 PM
Ford666
Virgin

Thank you for feedback. That explain your knocking noise in old engine all the time. Did you check presure on cylinders before that you replace engine? in my engine presure as brand new engibe and also i hear diffrent type of knocking than you mentioned before. So my cases is little be diffrent but boucing revs around 2000 rpm and timming advance is the same.
You bought engine with the same code, year etc. Or you chose maybe newest or older version of your engine?
Old 01-08-2021, 06:57 PM
Richiezetecse
Virgin

i didnt measure the compression no but id imagine on my engine it would have been poor on both bad clinders. i bought a ford timing tool kit also and retimed the poor engine before dumping in the new one.

my car drove fine otherwise, it was some time ago, i got the exact same engine from a scrapper. it was 4 years ago so the specifics but hazey but there is a vid on youtube where a guy was having same as me and it turned out the mechanic had not timed the engine correctly
Old 02-08-2021, 12:04 PM
Ford666
Virgin

I saw video with explain root cause of boucing revs and spark advance is timming belt, question is how to find proper setting of timming? I had try dedicated crankshaft locking pin but it stop piston a little bit after TDC. So i had try another crankshaft locking pin and it stop piston almost in tdc. Then I had try manual set in tdc with my own sensor but after all 3 method I still have the same symptons. To block camshaft i use locking plate in every setting of timming.
I heard that piston should be in tdc and camshaft locked by plate, but why oryginal locking pin have lock piston in diffrent position? Do you or any one on forum notice the same problem?