View Single Post
Old 22-03-2017, 03:12 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1,031 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by Rowe
the leak was between the turbo and the manifold. The presence, or rather lack of CAT was not the cause.
This event highlights the importance of proper workmanship. A lad posted a video up last night on the MK7 ST page of his newly bought CO alarm going off inside the car after sitting on idle for 10 minutes.
Yes, if the turbo and manifold (which seems were the actual cause) was not leaking then this would prob not have happened, if there was a cat and the fumes were only drawn back via the pipe then it would not have killed them in all likelihood.

I have heard of people trying to kill themselves in locked garages and the Cat saved them. (maybe not always)

So, I agree with the proper workmanship. I think even without the bonnet vents being there the fumes would have most probably found their way in to the air vents for the cabin.

What I don't get is that the fumes are quite unpleasant, you get horrible headaches and feelings before it does you the harm in most cases and that is in a closed environment...maybe they were asleep in the car with it running?

Sad loss at a young age!