View Single Post
Old 17-09-2016, 10:16 PM
frug
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlos-Titx
I used 1 and half tins on mine. Bought 4 off eBay cheap enough.
Had a little mess around with some on a section of one of the wheels, but It hasn't really worked out too well for me to be honest, there was some lacquer peel, which I flatted away in the hope the dip would cover. Its laid down nice and smooth over the lacquer, but where its hit the uncovered basecoat its gone wrinkled as though it has reacted with it. Theres some peeling on a couple of the wheels, so I don't think I'll be getting an easy win on these without sanding it all back and repainting 😞 although the leftovers did a pretty decent job of covering the flaky chrome plating on the grill of the old Skoda
I've got a replacement fuel pump on its way, and a new bracket, although as a way to ensure the fuel pump saga can never happen again, I think I will be relocating the fuel pump onto the battery tray where there won't be any excessive vibration from the engine and gearbox as there was when it was bolted through the PPF (which I will likely remove anyway). Might even be a little bit quieter hidden under the bonnet!
Something else which has been annoying me is a kind of screaming/screeching noise when under a lot of load, it kind of comes and goes, sometimes for example in 3rd gear, the squealing will appear when accelerating hard, but will disappear if the rear wheels start to spin up, I can't decide if this is clutch slip or not, the revs don't shoot up abnormally as I'd usually expect if the clutch was slipping, it does seem to be clutch related though, as if I twat the fuck out of it and get some heat in the clutch the noise will go away? There's plenty of meat left on the friction plate and the flywheel is nice and flat, so I'm not a hundred percent on what the problem is (other than that the friction material is a little degraded with age, or perhaps we're running at the very limit of what the clutch will handle, I'm assuming its a standard item as its labelled up as motorcraft)
I'll most likely be moving the battery to the boot somewhere to remove a little of the clutter under the bonnet, and to make it easier to swap to a larger battery and shorter high current cable runs if any in car entertainment gets installed, I used to be pretty into the car audio side of things as a 'yoof' and still have some pretty decent gear just sat in the garage going to waste doing nothing, and in truth, the standard Bose sound system thats in there is pretty lame.