Old 07-07-2016, 12:03 PM
Alison_G
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mondeo 130 tdci gearbox advice needed please

Well I currently own three silver mondeos. And not one of them is worth having right now. I brought a scrapper (115 LX model) last year which I am currently stripping down ready to get rid of the shell. My own car (130 Ghia X) is not worth putting through another MOT. The entire front suspension needs replacing for starters. I did strip out the suspension legs on the scrapper only to find the shocks aren't much better than my own and one spring is snapped. Plus my car needs the engine sorting, two very noisy tappets on it now, car keeps cutting out under load and then with the noisy suspension it sounds like the engines being dragged along the road Either way the car is not worth even thinking about putting through another MOT. So I brought another mondeo (another 130 Ghia X) in early June. When I drove it I could hear the flywheel was a bit noisy so I bargained matey down £200. I put a single flywheel on my own car and I reasoned that, as its only done about 12-13k I could use that clutch & flywheel on the new one. My intentions were to put the new car on the road and run it for a month whilst in the meantime stripping out the clutch, flywheel etc from my original mondeo, then taking the new car off the road for a weekend whilst I fitted everything I stripped from the old one onto the new one. With me so far? Well drove the new one home and (thankfully it was) outside my house the clutch pedal hit the floor. Master cylinder in the clutch side of the hydraulics had popped a seal. Annoying but not a major issue in itself as I had the master cylinder on the scrapper I could use. Only it wasn't quite that simple, it somehow appears that as the pressure from the seal popping went it also somehow took out the slave cylinder with it covering the clutch and flywheel with hydraulic fluid. So I now HAVE to get the new car sorted before I can take the old one off the road. And therein lies the nub! I brought another mondeo because I have so many spares etc on the two cars I already have that the idea was to spend as little as possible on the new one but I didn't bargain for it breaking down before I even managed to register the bloody thing! I can't take my old one off the road because I am stumped without a car but equally I don't really have the money to go and buy yet another flywheel kit to put the new one on the road. I should have been able to use the flywheel off my old one. Anyway I scrimped and saved to pull together £250 for another flywheel kit only to find that because this new car has a 6 speed box I need a conversion kit for it as well. Something I stupidly completely forgot to take into account when I brought it. £600+ in total which is out of the question for me

I can't win

Anyway, now I am looking into the possibility of taking the 5 speed box out of the scrapper and mating it to the engine of the new one. A shedload more work but the only real feasible option I have left to me So the question that this entire load of waffle is all about is... Is that a feasible option and what issues am I likely to encounter along the way? Engine codes are identical...

And if you read all the way through that essay, cheers for sticking with me

Last edited by Alison_G; 10-07-2016 at 06:00 PM.