Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Mondeo 130 tdci gearbox advice needed please

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 12:03 PM
Alison_G
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mondeo 130 tdci gearbox advice needed please

Well I currently own three silver mondeos. And not one of them is worth having right now. I brought a scrapper (115 LX model) last year which I am currently stripping down ready to get rid of the shell. My own car (130 Ghia X) is not worth putting through another MOT. The entire front suspension needs replacing for starters. I did strip out the suspension legs on the scrapper only to find the shocks aren't much better than my own and one spring is snapped. Plus my car needs the engine sorting, two very noisy tappets on it now, car keeps cutting out under load and then with the noisy suspension it sounds like the engines being dragged along the road Either way the car is not worth even thinking about putting through another MOT. So I brought another mondeo (another 130 Ghia X) in early June. When I drove it I could hear the flywheel was a bit noisy so I bargained matey down £200. I put a single flywheel on my own car and I reasoned that, as its only done about 12-13k I could use that clutch & flywheel on the new one. My intentions were to put the new car on the road and run it for a month whilst in the meantime stripping out the clutch, flywheel etc from my original mondeo, then taking the new car off the road for a weekend whilst I fitted everything I stripped from the old one onto the new one. With me so far? Well drove the new one home and (thankfully it was) outside my house the clutch pedal hit the floor. Master cylinder in the clutch side of the hydraulics had popped a seal. Annoying but not a major issue in itself as I had the master cylinder on the scrapper I could use. Only it wasn't quite that simple, it somehow appears that as the pressure from the seal popping went it also somehow took out the slave cylinder with it covering the clutch and flywheel with hydraulic fluid. So I now HAVE to get the new car sorted before I can take the old one off the road. And therein lies the nub! I brought another mondeo because I have so many spares etc on the two cars I already have that the idea was to spend as little as possible on the new one but I didn't bargain for it breaking down before I even managed to register the bloody thing! I can't take my old one off the road because I am stumped without a car but equally I don't really have the money to go and buy yet another flywheel kit to put the new one on the road. I should have been able to use the flywheel off my old one. Anyway I scrimped and saved to pull together £250 for another flywheel kit only to find that because this new car has a 6 speed box I need a conversion kit for it as well. Something I stupidly completely forgot to take into account when I brought it. £600+ in total which is out of the question for me

I can't win

Anyway, now I am looking into the possibility of taking the 5 speed box out of the scrapper and mating it to the engine of the new one. A shedload more work but the only real feasible option I have left to me So the question that this entire load of waffle is all about is... Is that a feasible option and what issues am I likely to encounter along the way? Engine codes are identical...

And if you read all the way through that essay, cheers for sticking with me

Last edited by Alison_G; 10-07-2016 at 06:00 PM.
Old 07-07-2016, 03:47 PM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Received 147 Likes on 139 Posts

sod that - get rid of them all and buy another car mate
Old 08-07-2016, 11:24 AM
Adam-M
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 315 Likes on 288 Posts

My personal experience with mk3 mondeos is that they are constant money pits so I'd just advice you to cut your losses and get rid.

My mate has a mk3 st tdci and I've helped him do loads on that car, constant money pit he hates it lol.
Old 08-07-2016, 02:45 PM
Alison_G
Virgin

I wish I was able to get rid and start again but I simply havent the finances to do that right now. I have a short holiday booked in August and I'm really just hoping I don't disappoint the kids or lose any more money.
Old 08-07-2016, 02:46 PM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Received 147 Likes on 139 Posts

as above mk3 mondeos are notorious for problems and that is the main reason i have never bought one. My old mk2 mondeo was great as that had a mechanical fuel pump and would run on anything u put down its throat lol - i did over 25k on veg oil in that car including several trips abroad, including one to germany for the world cup and the car sat at 125mph all day long
Old 08-07-2016, 06:39 PM
steanlol
PassionFord Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a Mk3 and it was an awesome car , remapped and it was still going strong when I sold it with 242,000 miles on the clock .

If I was you I'd stick with it but the amount of development that went into the dual mass then I would stick with that , I would assume that the gearbox would go straight on but I've never changed one so hopefully someone with a bit more knowledge will point you in the rite direction .
The following users liked this post:
Alison_G (10-07-2016)
Old 08-07-2016, 10:22 PM
natehall
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Right, you have looked at all the hard options of switching from 6 speed to 5 speed etc. How about going about this the easier and cheaper way..

Use the new cars good suspension parts on the old Ghia X and put the other two up on ebay for breaking to get some money back? Leather will be worth a few quid off the new Ghia, as well as a few other bits and then weigh in whats left?
Old 10-07-2016, 05:57 PM
Alison_G
Virgin

Nate, I had already thought about that but the engine on the current mondy is knackered. I have several fault codes on it, noisy tappets and keeps cutting out under load or the glowplug light starts flashing and she goes into limp mode and honestly I'm not prepared to chase them down the line or spend any more money on this one Plus it's still going to be a shedload of work stripping suspension down on two cars and refitting it all on one. Not much different in terms of workload to swapping flywheels etc really

Last edited by Alison_G; 10-07-2016 at 06:11 PM.
Old 10-07-2016, 09:47 PM
jamie's
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

The flywheel is differant between the 5sp and 6sp gearboxes,
So you had better make sure that the crank sensor pick up is the same, or it wont run after you swap it over
Alison_G (10-07-2016)
Old 10-07-2016, 10:49 PM
Alison_G
Virgin

Cheers Jamie, this is the sort of info I was looking for.

Much appreciated
Old 13-07-2016, 11:23 PM
gcfcos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 560 Likes on 522 Posts

Hope u get this sorted mate. Sounds like a nightmare. I know what it's like to be proper skint trying to keep a car on the road. I have gone through quite a few mk3 mondeos but only had one diesel. The diesel was a nightmare from start to finish but the petrols just went on forever. Good luck mate
Alison_G (21-07-2016)