View Single Post
Old 28-06-2014, 12:15 PM
Jackstrath
Part of the Furniture

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Mk2 Focus RS gearbox to Zetec engine?

Hello guys , i think this could be my first topic , although iv been on here for a few years now i just normaly have a lookie at this and that.

Im after some info , what can , who can and best way to do what im thinking , dont like the cant words lol

Long story short , i have a high powered mk1 focus RS track car , only issue just now is gearbox's , i cant seam to get the MTX75 to last any great deal of time.

Now its down to torque , that seams to be the issue , the standard box was rebuilt , lasted 700 miles , quaife box was built , didnt even last a fraction of it.

From what i found , standard box killed bearings really fast (i guess due to the horozontal and rotational forces placed on the bearings)

Quaife dog box , a design flaw on 3rd gear - one which aparently isnt going to change

So as another option iv been looking about to see whats stong as i know works , and it turns out mk2 RS focus's gearboxs seam to be fairly bomb proof with very little reports of failures , and the big powered cars run big torque figues due to them having that 5th cylinder haha

Now external size wise they arnt much bigger , which isnt to bad considering they are a 6 speed aswell (but then we did have the 6 speed in the st170 that fitted no bother)

The lists of parts that arnt a issue:
Driveshafts
Rear dogbone mount
Top engine mount
Gear Cables

The main issue is bell housing, for three reasons ;
1. starter motor is on the other side of the box (on a mk1 its on the rear, mk2 its on the front)
2.Bell hosing shape (this i guess is issue 2 and 3) bolt pattern is wrong
3.Diff
Iv yet to get a messurement , but number 3 might not be a "big" issue , IE if the center of the diff to the center of the imput shaft isnt miles out then it could work

I could be wrong , but i dont think the bellshousing can be sorted with just a bolt adaptor plate like you can on a RWD set up

If it could be them it would just be the starter motor issue and it could work

Iv yet to think if a mk2 RS starter motor woud fit down the front between the turbo/manifold set up (although i highly doubt it would)

Has anyone got any info or ideas , or knows someone that has done this or was atleast thinking about doing it , or would be up for trying to get it to work ?

at a wits end tbh , and this is one last attempt to relight the love with my car ! (currently up for sale)

Thanks in advance !