Old 17-06-2013, 07:35 PM
black_jack
Black Jack

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mgore
Hi Guys,
I recently purchased a 2012 Mondeo Titanium x Sport 2.0 and have an issue which has seen it back to the dealers 4 times without any resolution!
The problem is that the car starts fine, I set off, then as I depress the clutch to go into second gear, the engine revs rise (I gather this is an anti stall mechanism?), but once in second and I depress the throttle to accelerate away, the power just drops off and the car lurches! I can drive through it by driving like an 18 year old, but I'm more interested in a smooth drive with reasonable economy!
This fault is driving me mad and I have tried to reject the car with the dealers, but they have refuted the issue.
They have tried the following:
Re-installed the latest software, replaced the fuel filter (claiming the car has had 'bad fuel' sometime in the past), RE- RE applied the latest software, and checked for non existent error codes!
I have read elsewhere that this could be the anti stall, or the traction control system that reduces how much power you can put down in first and second gear which would explain why the fault is only evident in the bottom gears?
Please help SOMEONE!! I don't want to be stuck with a car that I hate to drive as it is otherwise fantastic! I need an answer soon as I cant get hold of Ford Technical??
Thanks in advance!!
Pottering about on the motorway at 65mph (probably in top) is not going to clear out the DPF - whats the revs at that speed? - under 2k?. To give it a proper "italian-tune-up" involves red-lining it through the gears, driving it hard, for long enough to get the DPF hot

It is well known that using the cruise control has a negative effect on MPG, it cannot anticipate traffic etc, it opens the throttle wide going uphill, etc etc 6th may be a bit high for 65mph, (engine may be "out of the power") 5th may be better, especially uphill, if you change down early before a steep hill, you will use less throttle/ therefore less fuel, if you lift off the throttle early when you know you must slow down and stop, you will use less fuel, and braking less means less momentum is wasted, using the heater can take a lot of heat out of the engine in winter (diesels are more efficient when hot - and the MPG goes down when warming up/ running cool) and the AC can waste fuel around town in summer (less so at a steady speed)

If the avarage MPG is low (due to driving arownd town etc) it will give a low avarage reading, if you reset it before a long "economy" run the figure displayed will go up

Often modifications (remaps etc) can improve the mpg as well as the performance on a turbo-diesel

Fords claimed power is at the crank, in PS - the dyno will only read the power at the wheels, and flywheel power is "guessed" every different dyno might get a different reading, even the same dyno morning to afternoon may give a different reading, unless the measured power is very bad/ low, the dyno results will be meaningless and only useful for before/ after comparisons on the same dyno (for remaps/ modifications/ setup etc) dyno time / runs can be expensive - best to get a remap done at the same time