Old 10-04-2013, 07:28 PM
xr2wishy
Bodger of Blackburn

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by It's Czech Mate
But that 1.0 has more power and more torque and better efficiency than the na 1.6

The turbo is well specced and boost easily replaces displacement in this case

You are totally blinkered and plain wrong in your belief boost cannot replace displacement
how can you conclude that is blinkered????
bigger displacement always tends to bigger power, adding a turbo makes more from the cylinder capacity i grant you, but this is a road of tiny engines that may have the power, but little or none mechanical noise to make it feel alive.
consider the 1.6 with a turbo will have even more power and efficiency over a 3.0, suddenly the 1.0 is not so great in many respects.
small engines with turbo's are nothing new, but making them stronger to take more boost and power output is something constantly moving forwards.
i did have a 2.1 turbo zetec, so a relatively small engine compared to my 330ci e46, but i prefer the sound from the bm, although i do miss the power of 2BAR through the 2.1 forged engine.

the reason for the iron blocks is strength, the very reason m3's use iron, where the lesser spec engines, certainly in the e46's use alloy for weight and cost of production, but do not lend to higher compression ratios, higher rev limits and higher power production.