View Single Post
Old 06-12-2012, 03:26 PM
PaulinhoT
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 148 Likes on 147 Posts

So, despite it being rather cold today I thought as I was off work I would take another look at this IMRC (before I burn it).

Thankfully I was lucky enough to be able to park the car outside my house, which was going to help with what I had in mind.

Name:  Side.jpg
Views: 1410
Size:  108.9 KB

I've read on a few sites about how a few of the pins solder on the pcb can crack, which can cause random problems with the unit. So I thought I would check mine out.

Basically with the car turned off, the cable that runs from the unit is slack, then when you start the car the cable goes tight, and the control arm on the end moves and sets itself. If you rev the car the unit does move. So I have been a little lost as to why each time I've had the code/light reset the dash light it comes back on again after a couple of miles.

So I took the air box off, and the hose off, cleaned the throttle body and oiled the spring on the side, but it all seemed to be working ok. I also made sure the intakes were opening ok, and not sticking and all seemed fine there. I checked the throttle cable, and oiled the spring on the end, but again all seemed fine.

I then took the IMRC apart again and took a closer look at the solder inside, all seems pretty good to be honest. Although I wasn't 100% sure on these two pins. They had very slight dark circles in the solder, but didn't look like cracks.

Name:  Pins1.jpg
Views: 1200
Size:  76.1 KB

I thought to be safe I would re-solder them and that way I would know that the pins were ok.
I soon found out that my 25W soldering iron just wouldn't get hot enough outside to melt the solder. It must of been close to zero outside, so this didn't help.
I used a lighter flame on the soldering iron tip to aid its heat which actually seemed to work ok or just enough when I touched the tip to the PCB.

I did both pins, and although not the best looking solder, at least I know now that they should be ok.

Another thing that has annoyed me about the unit is the amount of noise it was making on my car. It actually felt like you could rattle the motor around inside, despite it being clipped into its special little place.

So in fear of the motor actually jumping on the gears I thought I would beef up this little rubber unit.

Name:  Panel.jpg
Views: 1138
Size:  39.9 KB

I have attached some double sided foam tape, just to give it a little more push on the motor.

Name:  Panel3.jpg
Views: 1087
Size:  39.7 KB

Name:  Panel2.jpg
Views: 1041
Size:  38.5 KB

At this point I could no longer feel my hands, so put it all back together and called it a day.

I have taken the car out for a cruse just to see how it drives, and again it feels really smooth, also the unit seems to make much less noise than it did before. The car has more low down which I find odd as clearly the unit was working before as I could see it moving when I blipped the throttle under the bonnet.

I didn't give the car too much push as I am doing a fuel eco test atm.. The car managed around 16mpg the other day, now I know most of that was 2nd and 3rd gear use.. and I didn't buy the car for a cheap run around, but I thought it would be nice to do be able to do 20-25mpg.. We will see.

Other than that I haven't done much else.. the shopping list is growing though