Old 31-12-2011, 09:00 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Well I got the engine into the mocking up spare engine bay today, no mounts made or anything yet, just cutting out room for clearance etc and working on alignment

Forgot to get pics as usual so will get some tomorrow or next weekend, whenever im near it next.

Good news:
Gearbox clears the steering rack, JUST! That would have been a potential project stopper if the box was an inch deeper backwards
Standard exhaust manifold fits, and exhaust will go through the hump on the subframe the old rear mount fitted under, handy if I want to run N/A for a while
Looks like the gear linkage is going to clear too
Rear mount is going to be easy to make fit

Bad news:
Both the chassis legs I had to completely cut out for clearance so will have to be remanufactured as one is where the box needs to be and one is where the aux belt needs to be
Not much room for a turbo at front, so might have to go over gearbox, and if I do that theres no room round the back of the box for the downpipe

Other observations:
Front two mounts are going to be a bit of a pain in the arse to make just because of where on the frame they'll need to locate but are definately doable
Can probably add a mount from engine to shell on pass side rather than just subframe mounts
Should be able to make an engine steady on the pass side
Can probably add a mount from box to shell on drivers side, although its going to be very tall if I do so, so ok for weight bearing but wont stop engine movement
Inner cv's are slightly higher than on the williams engine box but it looks accceptable for shaft angles as the car will be lowered anyway
Clearance between sump and subframe is very minimal, will need to be cautious about that when the engine moves in use

Not yet been able to check:
Not sure if bonnet will fit over cam cover yet as didnt have one handy to try
Not sure if my aftermarket inlet manifold will fit, standard one nowhere near fits though.