View Single Post
Old 03-12-2011, 12:46 PM
James @ M Developments.
BANNED

BANNED

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Default My BMW 320D M Sport (Dyno Update!)

I purchased this car about 8 months ago, as a bit of an all rounder, thought it was time to do some sort of project thread on it, as its had quite a few mods now. Ultimately i want the car to stay looking pretty much as it does now because its very pretty and i want it to remain very economical to run, but also be a little bit of fun when i want a blast around the lanes.

So here it is. A 320D M Sport Coupe

Name:  bmw.png
Views: 561
Size:  563.3 KB

One of the first mods i carried out was to get rid of the factory stereo unit and fit a phone compatible Kenwood unit, and a full set of Vibe slick Speakers.

Name:  6eb3a2f3.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  78.7 KB

The rear speakers didn't fit due to the tweeter size so i had to mod the covers to allow them to stick though

Name:  67db9583.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  121.8 KB

Then it was time to do a little engine work.

These motors are prone to suffering from swirl flap problems, so the inlet was removed to find one of the swirl flaps broken off and literally sat in the manifold!

Very close to killing the engine!

Name:  flapcopy.jpg
Views: 587
Size:  77.3 KB

Name:  flap1copy.jpg
Views: 609
Size:  9.3 KB

So the flaps were removed and i tapped the manifold to blank the holes where the swirl flaps once were.

Also while i was there, i cleaned the whole inlet and the EGR.

Name:  egrcopy.jpg
Views: 583
Size:  33.7 KB

Having covered 150,000 miles, this sort of maintenance is critical!

A few parts were now fitted, New K+N filter, the inlet neck was modified to allow more air flow into the filter housing.

All the oils were changed, using nano tech gear and diff oils.

A full set of Dimple magnets were fitted.

Name:  dimplecopy.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  43.7 KB
And i carried out a full service, noting a few items that needed a bit of work.

A set of poly front wishbone bushes were fitted to tighten things up a little

Name:  bushescopy.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  30.9 KB

A new set of Grooved and dimpled discs were fitted front and rear. Along with some funky pads! and a full fluid change with race spec RBF fluid.

A while i was there i had a new full set of Falken ZE tyres fitted.

A decat front pipe was sourced and fitted, while i was there i also removed the internals from the second cat box, so its now a full decat exhaust system.

So at this point it was time to make the most of these new mods, Working with kenny we made a base map with EGR delete to keep the EGR closed to avoid further manifold clogging! And we spent several hours custom mapping the car. The results are staggering! We estimate we have gained around 60bhp and around 80nm of torque, but she will go on the dyne when I'm happy I've got all i can from her.
On a steady cruise it is now returning 62mpg, and averaging 40+ during my normal weekly drive.
Name:  IMG_0433.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  53.2 KB

It goes really well, pulls so well from low revs and flies up to 150 in no time
has a few issues with traction though

The turbo is working pretty hard and at almost 2 bar so i am looking into different turbos to allow a little more

A set of HIDs were fitted along with main beam and front fog light bulbs to match the colour, the headlights are much much better now, and it looks really well with them fitted!.

I will try to keep this updated, as mods are coming along quite fast now, and I've missed loads off whats been done so far to achieve the results we have so far, if i list them all ill be here all day

Next mods are a large front mounted intercooler, and a Z3 short shift gear lever and bushes. They should be on soon.

I will get some more up to date pics later, as these are all a bit old.

Last edited by James @ M Developments.; 19-07-2012 at 05:01 PM.