View Single Post
Old 13-06-2011, 11:05 PM
DarrinDD
Regular Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stupid Photobucket

Since the last update there has been a great deal of faffing around trying to get things to work properly.

With the new idea for the coolant system, mounting the header tank where the battery sits, I needed to move the battery to the boot. I ordered an FIA isolator switch, which when wired as I thought it should be, it would never work.

After days of being really annoyed at the thing, I gave up and wired it as a simple isolator switch. It now works.

Then came the problem with the fuel/spark. I couldn't get the car started. Swapped the coil pack over and the car ran, but only for a couple seconds and if throttle was applied, it would just die.

So after words with several people, I hunted down a fuel problem. Changed the relays, for the pump, checked the cut off, checked all fuses, filled up with 5 litres.

Dead battery.

Jumped the battery and finally got it into life. But with a terrible knocking noise. After 5 mins inspection, the water pump pulley was loose. tightened that up and let it idle.

The idle was dead lumpy, which lead to an incorrectly fitted HT lead - not fitted over the spark plug properly.

Amongst all this, I had brake lines leaks, fuel leaks, coolant leaks and oil leaks. Fixed the fuel and line leaks but tightening up the necessary fittings. Coolant leak was due to a perished thermostat gasket, which I happened to have a new one laying around. So swapped that over and no more leaks. The oil leak was a loose fitting, simple.

Last week I bought an OMP subframe off eBay, just the drivers side, second hand. Fitted this, measured up, drilled and mounted my seat side mounts and mounted the seat. It needs to move forward a bit but is dead comfortable and supportive.

With all this in place, I took her for a spin. For the first time since February 2010, I drove this car all of 0.4 miles down the road.

There is still a HUGE list of things to do, but the engine runs nicely, and pulls well.

this HUGE list consists of lots of minor details. But a few days hard graft should get them done.

Massive thanks to Eamon and ShawSpeed for the help and advice the past few days. Appreciate it

Name:  DSC_0249.jpg
Views: 1288
Size:  165.8 KB

Name:  DSC_0248-1.jpg
Views: 1242
Size:  97.1 KB

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsTvQZcJLxE