View Single Post
Old 17-05-2011, 04:58 PM
StevieA
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by novice-mech
But to be thorough, I might try to prize the motor assembly open (following something someone else posted earlier mentioning rubber lugs that can be pressed in)...to see if I can get some WD40 onto the bottom bearing. Feel free to reassure me the whole thing's not going to fall apart if I do press those rubber lugs in!
Do it! I've had the 'only working on 4' blown resistor problem twice, then finally it started blowing the fuse on number 4. Suspected sticky bearings on the blower motor was behind problems. Removed the motor as link to US site diagram (thanks!), and yes indeed, stiff to rotate (will not spin with a twirl). Bit the bullet and took out of housing by pressing in rubber lugs. Dead easy, and no nasty surprises when it comes apart. Very cruddy (see pic - L arrows for lubrication, Rx3 indicates one of rubber lugs) in bearing area. Got WD40 on this and, via straw, onto fan end bearing, and now spins as expected. Tried it on 4 setting just holding motor by hand with and now works fine. Awaiting arrival of thermal fuses (216 degree C are available on ebay) to fix resistor now. Many, many thanks to those who took the trouble to give walk-throughs on this problem (especially pdfbt40 and philvbarnes ).

Uploaded with ImageShack.us