Old 02-04-2010, 12:09 PM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decorators and Tilers, is this a reasonable quote?

I know there are a lot of tradesmen on this site, so I wanted to get your opinions on this.

The mrs and I are getting our bathroom redecorated. We have had a new bath and other bits in, but now its to sort out the tiling and flooring.

Now we are going to get the tiles ourselves and the flooring with underlay. Now, measurements I have taken, and rounded up to the nearest meter its about 13m square of tiles to be done and about 3m square for the floor, this measurement also assumes tiling behind the bath, which we know wont happen, but the extras will be needed as we have some pipe covers.

Now we had a guy come in and quote us £500 for the work.

This is to include, fitting 13m of Tiles with a border (strip tiles), with him supplying everything but the tiles and tiling over the pipe covers.

Cutting and fitting 3m of laminate fake tile flooring and underlay.

Other things to consider, he does not have to remove the existing tiles. The walls the existing tiles are on are on plasterboard walls and we are worried that taking them off will also remove parts of the wall. Is this correct or does anyone else have an opinion on that?

So is his quote of £500 fair? I know most tilers charge £20 per square meter. Now even if the flooring is charged at double, that still comes to £380 and not £500.

But if anyone want a job in Croydon and can beat that offer, PM me.