View Single Post
Old 02-07-2009, 04:50 PM
ECU Monitor Enthusiast
BANNED
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stu @ M Developments
That is the feature tuners are likely upset at mate as Simon has publicly announced he has done that and is releasing the software to do it. Its not something he has designed, its a backdoor that Pectel designed in over 20 years ago that we all knew existed but didn't utilise as we have no wish to copy other tuners software or make it possible for others to do so.
At last, you admit that the software "could" affect you if indirectly !
Infact you told me there wasnt any money in cosworths anymore so didnt mind what I did - At first !
I did say, I would release it without the maps feature if you allowed me to realese it on here publically but by then you had the hump !

I never claimed I designed the protocol or its features. In fact the protcol is based on another unrelated to cars designed by someone else !

I discovered all the backdoors myself and decided to make use of them to see how far I could push the L8/P8.

Originally Posted by digitalgraham
The data stream wasn't a Pectel thing, from what I understand. The serial output is a feature of the the Motorola processor in the ECU. Pectel were the 1st to utilize this with the monitor initially designed for motorsport uses.

Any software that is designed to read RS232 data isn't actually decoding any tuners chip data, as the chip isn't being accessed.
It isnt a motorola feature at all and is implemented totally in the software.
Pectel were unique in that they added the protocol to thier versions of the chips.

As for using RS232, thats irrelivant, you are reading the data which is in the chip !!

ALL chips on cossies are derived at some point from webers original cpu code and maps and so are pirated to some point technically and to me that means they are open season in terms of research (not copying)

Its a fact, we cant talk about copying music files on this site but people are allowed to trade with effectively "copied" software here lol

*** If I have said anything on this post that is incorrect, please point it out to me and I will withdraw my comment if proved to be false

Last edited by ECU Monitor Enthusiast; 02-07-2009 at 04:59 PM. Reason: So many spelling mistakes...OOL