Old 28-04-2008, 10:54 PM
E_M_B
Part of the Furniture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I must apologise here chaps, as I am trying to update this thread off another thread which has been running for a while now and make it more understandable to non Subaru type peeps, so I am not being ignorant and ignoring any posts..

Removed all the rear suspension...

And set about sorting out the gap between the new outer wings, and the existing metal work..

Basically we have a large gap, and I needed to come up with a soultion to fill it in.

I thought about welding a metal plate there, but really there is no need for that, as it is not structural, and therefore not neccesary.
I came up with using a can of expanding foam...
This was used, like so..

After a bit of trimming, looks like this..

Next step, was to get some fibre glass on there, which was done, and again trimmed back into shape..

Apologies for the crappie pics, got a touch of the shakes whilst taking these pics, due to the night before...

Anyway, the arches are pretty much, well and truly bonded on now, and feel pretty strong around the wheel arch area, which is good.

In fact, I can actually lift the car using the new, fibreglass, rear arches, so good enough for me.

Having said which, it is just a shell...

Started to tidy up the inner rear wheel arch area on both sides..

Got both rear wings sorted also..

As the fibreglass panels can be a bit 'wobbly' (official technical term , the best way to sort it is get some stopper on it..

Then put a guide coat on it,and get rubbin'...

A few shots of the petrol flap area..

Also, one of the things I don't like about these type of rear arch conversions, is the loss of the door shut line.

But, one of the thngs I like about the 05 STi, are the little extra arch lips, so I got some fibreglass ones from Chargespeed, like this..

I plan on bonding them on, and simply cutting through where the door shut line is, to give the illusion of the rear arch line..