View Single Post
Old 18-07-2004, 09:42 PM
AndyRST
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R/C race meeting today (with pics)

TT and I went to a 1/5 scale R/C car race meeting today to see and get an idea of 1/5 scale racing and how far Tony would need to develop his 1/5 scale Porsche GT2 for racing. The circuit is a purpose built track in kent.

There were around 30+ cars there and the day starts off with everyone being split into sessions of 5-6 cars on track and having a warm up a session and then setting a qualifing time. Then they are put into heats and then finals for their class. Each car has a transponder mounted onboard to accuratly record the lap time and number of laps (it can be very confusing as to who is leading the race, when lapping back markers )

Weather started off dry but a small rain shower soon had the cars driving very very slowly. These cars struggle to put any power down (even in a straight line) in the wet and plenty of sliding, fishtailing and spins to be seen

Then it dried out again and they were upto full speed again, i have to say i am stunned at how fast they can drive these cars, how well balanced and how good under brakes a proper 1/5 scale car is!

an excellent day out, and prob a very good hobbie to get into if your loaded with dosh Heres the pics :

One of the morning warm up sessions :

On the grid for race session:

Coppers, they think they own the road :