Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

Rwd zetec turbo

Search this Thread

Old 27-12-2016, 07:36 PM
1983redrst

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rwd zetec turbo

Hi is anyone one here running a rwd zetec turbo? If so could anyone advise me on what sump (1.8 cvh? Or zetec? ) to use and also a exhaust manifold should I buy a custom one or I've seen a few converted original zetec manifolds are the anygood what's anyone else running? Many thanks Dan
Old 28-12-2016, 03:20 PM
The Black Count
PassionFord Regular

Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

Hi
I have not done this yet but hope to one day, but from my own experience if you plan to use a silvertop engine the cvh oil pick up will fit so you can use the cvh sump or a modified alloy one, the pick up pipe does not seem to fit on a blacktop engine but either way do yourself a favour and buy the one from Retro-Ford. You will also need to buy or make a water rail that goes down the inlet side of the engine

The RS turbo manifold places the turbo at the rear of the engine and the wrong way round but there are plenty of aftermarket ones that place it in the middle you just need a turbo the right way round that does not foul on the engine mount

If you do find one that works let us know
Old 28-12-2016, 04:54 PM
turbo m
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

There is a face book page rwd zetec.
I have heard that the modded 1.8 cvh sumps leak as you have to drill extra holes in it to fit, G19 enginering do a modded alloy sump and will exchange on a std 1.8 sump.
Old 28-12-2016, 06:17 PM
The Black Count
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by turbo m
There is a face book page rwd zetec.
I have heard that the modded 1.8 cvh sumps leak as you have to drill extra holes in it to fit, G19 enginering do a modded alloy sump and will exchange on a std 1.8 sump.
Yes there are 2 holes missing at each end over the crank in the block, the gasket does not sit very well and along with an old rusty sump its no wonder it may leak, I fitted one and was not happy so have got one from G19 but have now changed my mind to a blacktop and tried to fit it but the cvh oil pick up pipe does not fit. I am now buying an RF sump kit which is what I should have done in the first place, its does not cost that much more and will save a lot of hassle believe me
Old 29-12-2016, 08:27 AM
big_wasa
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 126 Likes on 123 Posts

The cvh sump is nasty, The newest one you find will be 23 years old and will have spent its life in the worst posable enviorment.

Only do one if you need the shape to go over a steering rack / crossmember and your on a budged.

The Blacktop sump is better depending on the shape you need.

The turbo manifold is much he same as above. Power costs money but the more you can make the less it costs. The focus mani' with a td04 flange will be more durable than a cheap stainless one but not as pretty and if you can weld you would knock one up for Ł20.

Unless you have spent some money on the engine then the td04 on the focus mani will take you to the limit of a budget Zetec turbo.

Last edited by big_wasa; 29-12-2016 at 08:37 AM.
Old 29-12-2016, 08:51 PM
1983redrst

Default Thanks

Cheers for the top advice guys that's really helped yes it's all going to be built on a tight budget I'm afraid but that's really helped and answered lots of my questions hopefully I will post some pics up soon on its progress 😉
Old 29-12-2016, 09:19 PM
Turbo Zetec
Engine Machinist

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

i went for a 1.8 cvh sump that has been modified for a blacktop, but i wish i had the money for a retroford one as they really are a good bit of kit. as for the exhaust manifold, i went for boost performance as it's a cast job and weighs a ton, so should never crack!

here's my short thread: https://passionford.com/forum/restor...ht-budget.html

Trending Topics

Old 01-01-2017, 04:07 PM
1983redrst

Cheers Turbo zetec I'm the guy that bought your modified inlet manifold. My plan is to use a mazda rx8 5 speed box and adaptor plate to a st170 bottom end and a blacktop head and a td04 turbo using fiesta rs turbo ofab management (only because i have it already in the garage) but if it is too much of a pain in the arse to set up in may opt for megasquirt set up. Turbo zetec did you have clearance issues using that manifold? and what water rail did you end up using or was it one you fabricated yourself?
Old 01-01-2017, 07:26 PM
turbo m
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Have you still got the g19 sump????
Old 07-01-2017, 09:04 PM
The Black Count
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by turbo m
Have you still got the g19 sump????
Hello, I assume the question is aimed at me? If so yes I do, its attached to the bottom of my engine, a 2 litre silvertop. I have had to remove the engine for work on the car and plan to fit a blacktop or st170 engine instead, buying the sump is just the first step being the most expensive part but I may have to put the silvertop back in for now, will have to see how much money I can rustle up after the puma and focus which are the priority projects