Technical help Q & A Got A technical problem with you car? Keep it in here where the techies hang out and we will try to solve it for you!!

High RPM when shifting gears....

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 12:24 PM
Focus018
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High RPM when shifting gears....

Hello, I am owner of Ford Focus 1.6 74kw 2001. for almost a year. First I had problem in front of traffic light or stop when shift out from gear to "neutral", RPM drop down to 500 and back to 800. My mechanic clean out throttle body and then my real problem start. After that when engine is cold, and i start car, its working perfect and I can drive 10-20 km everything is fine but if I turn off car and turn on after 10 min or 10 sec rpm is on 950 and when I shift out from gear or changing gear, rpm is on 1500 or 1900. If I shift out from gear in front of traffic light my rpm will stay on 1500 and when car stop rpm will drop down to 950 after 3-5 sec. IACV is cleaned, TPS is cleaned, mechanic did some initialization and now I am driving it but problem is still there. I changed five mechanics. I noticed one thing, when I turn off VSS sensor car is working perfect all time.....I would like to be turned off but problem is my speedometer not working than Please help...

Last edited by Focus018; 09-12-2016 at 12:25 PM.
Old 09-12-2016, 02:42 PM
Caddyshack
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1,031 Likes on 944 Posts

Sounds like you need a new vss in there (vehicle speed sensor) buy an originl one from ford if you can. I have changed them on my pug gti6 as they cause similar issues, on that if you jack it up and tilt the car over then you don't lose any gearbox oil when the vss is out.
Old 09-12-2016, 04:30 PM
Focus018
Virgin

Thanks for advice, I will buy one tomorrow and replace. I will try to leave him connected but VSS sensor unplugged from gearbox. I forgot to mention, my temp is going on red when I am on highway in town i notice that sometimes when start car is going up to red an in moment back to middle. Maybe somehow that is connected ? I read forums and I think that problem is with instrument cluster because there is no overheating at all.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:44 PM
lesley7
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Focus018
Thanks for advice, I will buy one tomorrow and replace. I will try to leave him connected but VSS sensor unplugged from gearbox. I forgot to mention, my temp is going on red when I am on highway in town i notice that sometimes when start car is going up to red an in moment back to middle. Maybe somehow that is connected ? I read forums and I think that problem is with instrument cluster because there is no overheating at all.
you havent mentioned pluging it in to read fault codes allways start there with electrical isues
Old 10-12-2016, 10:04 PM
Focus018
Virgin

There are no fault codes. When I am on highway and driving 130km/h temp is from middle jump to red but when I am driving 90-100 km/h temp is on middle. I read on some forums that might be problem with instrument cluster, maybe. I am not sure, thanks.